*This is a remote position*
Today, 1 in 3 Americans say they suffer from mental health problems like anxiety, depression, or insomnia. Despite this mental health epidemic, seeing a psychiatrist can take up to 3 months and cost as much as $500.
Shocked? Us too. That's why we started Cerebral, a telemedicine-first mental health startup. We are breaking down the barriers to access to mental healthcare so that anybody can get the care and meds they need immediately and for just $99/month. We launched publicly in January 2020 and are growing at over 40% month-over-month, and need your help.
Cerebral is seeking a Lead Software Engineer to join our Product and Engineering team in a high-growth environment. This role will be responsible for both contributing directly as an engineer and indirectly as a leader on the engineering team. This candidate should be a highly skilled and capable backend engineer. They should also be prepared to lead a small group of engineers. The ideal candidate will be passionate about learning and growing within a small yet scaling team, working iteratively through processes, and experienced with building code on Ruby-on-Rails. This role will be remote.
- Lead a small team of engineers (either dotted-line or solid-line, depending on the candidate and our needs at the time)
- Work with Product Managers and other stakeholders to coordinate essential work and timelines
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your peers.
- Design and develop applications in an agile development environment
- Design and develop back-end end solutions and APIs
- Rapidly prototype and refine applications based on user experience feedback
- Collaborate with product managers and fellow engineers to establish and refine requirements
- Manage infrastructure and deploy microservices
- Continuously find opportunities to refactor, improve performance, and increase reliability & quality.
- Ensure high-performing, scalable, and reliable exchange between front-end and back-end systems.
- Work with our QA team in analyzing and resolving issues.
- Ensure efficient and reusable systems and abstractions.
- Participate in Design reviews and ensure a high-quality bar for feature implementation
- Develop thoroughly tested code and conduct quality assurance on all new code alongside our QA team
- Keep the team organized and on-task at all times
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience with a BS degree in software engineering or related field, or 7+ years of professional software engineering experience without a degree
- 2+ years of experience building code on Ruby-on-Rails
- 2+ years of experience building REST APIs
- 1+ years experience as a Tech Lead, Lead Engineer, ScrumMaster, Project Manager, Architect, Engineering Manager, or higher-level for a small team
- Experience managing projects across teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
- Ability to mentor individual engineers as part of their growth.
- Rigor in A/B testing, test coverage, and web best practices
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web applications
- Start-up experience is a plus
- Excellent ability to communicate key developments, updates, and problems to other teams, both technical and non-technical
- Aligned with Cerebral’s mission to increase access to high-quality mental healthcare
- 1+ years experience managing engineers as a direct supervisor
- Experience in a volatile startup environment
- Experience with PostgreSQL a huge plus
- Experience with AWS a huge plus
- Experience with Release Engineering or DevOps
- Certified Agile ScrumMaster or similar
Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis. We are not able to sponsor work visas at this time.