Intake Specialist / Life Skills Coordinator - Los Angeles, CA
CEO is looking to hire an Intake Specialist / Life Skills Coordinator for Orientations and Outreach who will serve as the face of the organization and key representative to our justice partners throughout Los Angeles county (including corrections and community supervising departments and other criminal justice and community partners). This position will develop and deepen relationships with jails and prisons, parole officers, probation officers, community partners and sister organizations, providing them with information about our work and building their commitment to referring a strong pipeline of participants for our programs as well as support, motivate, and coach our participants by sharing their learnings and practices that improve engagement and retention with CEO.
The ideal Intake Specialist / Life Skills Coordinator candidate has lived experience of incarceration or involvement in the justice system.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and perhaps are already working in the re-entry field
- You have lived experience of incarceration or involvement in the justice system
- You know the value of creating a relationship first and how that goes a long way when motivating people to be the best version of themselves
- You are well versed in Salesforce Exponents and work well with different databases such as Excel, Microsoft Word, and G-Suites
- You are able to coordinate robust scheduling through calendar organization and having an eye for detail and completing crew configuration for maximum crew fielding
- You have excellent time management skills and warm communication strategies that foster collaboration and transformation
- You are tech savvy and able to troubleshoot issues through what is reflected and analyzed through data
- You’re comfortable with providing the feedback and support necessary to facilitate the development of participant knowledge and skills
- You take other perspectives into account when analyzing problems and thrive working within a team
- You’re able to work effectively under pressure, managing emotional highs and lows, while maintaining focus on objectives despite setbacks or opposition
- You’re self-motivated and diligent as you hold yourself accountable to deadlines, even in the face of adversity
- You’re highly organized with top notch time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities seamlessly or ask for support with prioritization when needed
- You’re bilingual in English/Spanish (preferred not required)
Key responsibilities of the Intake Specialist / Life Skills Coordinator include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate, calendar, organize the logistics and schedule of all parties involved in facilitating the Life Skills classes.
- Assisting participants with their intake documents, class scheduling and Orientation Enrollment
- Organizing and filing all Enrollment documents
- Internal Contracts Clerk for LA: RISE and CFET- Facilitating all in-coming participants to the program with the opportunity to enroll and gain the benefits of Job Ready Assessments (JRA’s) and CalFresh (CFET) .
- You will be responsible for updating all CalFresh information into CEO’s database as well as keeping all information up to date; and calculating the proper distribution of funding authorization over the incoming census.
- Keep a detailed and organized intake filing systems for each participant, ensuring accurate information is entered in CEO’s data system (Salesforce/CORE)
- Responsible for Referral Pipeline communications and warm handoff
- Keeping Parole Officers in the loop regarding individual participant progress
- Collaborating with other internal departments and from all justice referring partners to gather information and promote special projects
- Completion of forms, documents, and correspondence with governmental entities performed in an accurate and timely manner
- Develop an understanding of the functions and responsibilities of all Vocational Services, P2E Facilitator and Transitional Jobs and assist with other duties as assigned
Life Skills Coordinator Duties
- Facilitation of initial needs assessments and assessing factors and risks for recidivism
- Developing individualized service and support plans for each participant
- Facilitating workshops and curricula designed to build social skills, strengthen problem solving approaches, and encourage participants to examine past and present decisions
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $45,000 annually. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff. CEO is also dedicated to ongoing staff development and training, including regular training opportunities in Motivational Interviewing (MI). MI is one evidence-based skill that reentry and human service professionals can utilize when supporting participants to achieve their goals.
More About Us
The Center for Employment Opportunities believes that everyone deserves the chance to shape a stronger future for themselves, their families, and their communities. Our commitment to being an anti-racism organization that is inclusive across all identities and experiences drives us forward every day. We exist to create greater opportunities for people who face multiple barriers to personal and professional success, and we’re passionate about being agents of change who promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and access to opportunities for all.
People who are justice involved, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+ , and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please note that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to contact each applicant regarding the status of each position or reply to candidates' inquiries via phone or email.