CEO is seeking a Life Skills Educator/Job Coach (LSE/JC) for our Marin County office. The LSE/JC will be responsible for leading large group sessions for our program participants -- formerly incarcerated individuals -- that prepare them for success in temporary and permanent employment and ensuring participants stay focused and motivated while working on transitional job sites and in their efforts to obtain permanent employment.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the California Wellness Foundation, Arrowhead United Way, the Well Fargo Foundation, and the James Irvine Foundation. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are
- You are deeply dedicated to social justice and perhaps are already working in the re-entry space
- You are computer savvy (demonstrated word processing skills, ability to use the Internet)
- You have strong prioritization and time management skills
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills
- You are flexible and able to comfortably adapt content and/or style to meet the needs of participants
- You are able to demonstrate customer service skills and consideration for others
- You are able to demonstrate an ability to learn and facilitate curricula quickly and with accuracy
- You have experience providing feedback to help clients strengthen knowledge and skills
- You have the ability to identify problems early on and provide support as needed
- You have the ability to inspire others to reach a goal and perform to the best of their ability
- You have at least 2-3 years of experience teaching or leading group presentations
The Nitty Gritty
Key responsibilities of the LSE/JC include but are not limited to:
Life Skills Education
- Present well-prepared, organized, and clear content that follows CEO’s course syllabus to participants enthusiastically and with deep care
- Provide encouragement and constructive feedback to all participants while engaging participants in discussions about their employment goals
- Help participants become job-start ready by promoting their development and effective utilization of communication and self-presentation skills
- Keep abreast of current practices and events that could impact participants; make suggestions about new material to incorporate into the curriculum
- Keep parole and probation in the loop regarding individual participant progress
- Develop relationships with our criminal justice partners and community-based organizations, providing them with information about our work, and building their commitment to referring a strong pipeline of participants for our programs
- Guide and coach participants in key preparatory activities tied to employment, including writing professional resumes, networking, and mock interviewing
- Use motivational interviewing techniques as appropriate to help guide participants to goal achievement
- Maintain weekly contact with participants to track their progress to interview readiness
- Facilitate group sessions and workshops to build employment readiness skills
- Build positive relationships with criminal justice partners in various settings, including parole bureaus and correctional facilities
- Input participants into our case management system (Salesforce)
- Monitor and record class attendance
- Maintain contact with worksite supervisors regarding participant daily performance and record status in Salesforce
- Produce monthly progress summaries for each participant
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $45,000 annually, commensurate with demonstrated experience and abilities. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays, and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings, and more for our staff. CEO is also dedicated to ongoing staff development and training, including regular training opportunities in Motivational Interviewing (MI). MI is one evidence-based skill that reentry and human service professionals can utilize when supporting participants to achieve their goals.
More About Us
The Center for Employment Opportunities believes that everyone deserves the chance to shape a stronger future for themselves, their families, and their communities. Our commitment to being an anti-racism organization that is inclusive across all identities and experiences drives us forward every day. We exist to create greater opportunities for people who face multiple barriers to personal and professional success, and we’re passionate about being agents of change who promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and access to opportunities for all.
People who are justice-involved, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please note that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to contact each applicant regarding the status of each position or reply to candidates' inquiries via phone or email.