Program Strategy Summer Intern
CEO is seeking a passionate, driven, and creative Summer 2021 Intern to join our team. This individual will support expansion efforts across the organization, with a focus on developing our social enterprise by generating and qualifying leads for our sales team. As part of our mission, we strongly encourage individuals who have lived experience of incarceration or involvement in the justice system to apply for this role.
This paid internship will last 10 weeks throughout the summer and provides the individual with professional, project-focused experience in organizations working to address a range of community issues. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, this position will be located remotely.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the GreenLight Fund, the Pew Charitable Trust, and the Nonprofit Finance Fund. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are:
- You are a motivated undergraduate student interested in working in a fast-growing, results-oriented nonprofit environment;
- You are currently enrolled in a bachelors degree-conferring program, with preference for having earned at least 60 credits with the program (i.e., the equivalent of a rising Junior or Senior in college or university)
- You have a commitment to social, economic and racial justice and interest in working in these areas;
- You are an strong communicator – both written and verbally;
- You are organized and proactive, with excellent time management skills;
- You are comfortable with and enjoy online research & tracking down hard-to-find information
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Conduct research on a variety of topics including external market analysis, stakeholder mapping, and economic mobility
- Based on research, help CEO understand gaps in service or areas for improvement
- Assist in the development of tools and systems to allow for a more effective program
- Support other team members in capturing best practices and documenting procedures across the program model
- Other duties as assigned
Compensation and Benefits
This individual will be compensated with a stipend for the summer of $4,000 for this 10-week full time internship. While flexible, the ideal start date for the associate would be at the beginning of June, with the internship running 10-weeks consecutively.
More About Us
The Center for Employment Opportunities believes that everyone deserves the chance to shape a stronger future for themselves, their families, and their communities. Our commitment to being an anti-racism organization that is inclusive across all identities and experiences drives us forward every day. We exist to create greater opportunities for people who face multiple barriers to personal and professional success, and we’re passionate about being agents of change who promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and access to opportunities for all.
People who are justice involved, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please note that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to contact each applicant regarding the status of each position or reply to candidates' inquiries via phone or email.