Security teams need an accurate inventory of their organization’s Internet-facing assets along with prioritized and actionable risk information. Censys maintains the largest, most accurate and most credible map of the Internet, and we’re using that map to discover Internet-facing assets and risks for security practitioners. Censys provides a detailed demarcation of the perimeter and identifies risks to help security practitioners defend their organizations.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to join our team. Our Attack Surface Management (ASM) platform is the growth product for Censys and it relies on us having a world class Attribution engine. Our ability to correctly attribute internet entities to the correct company is the foundation for our ASM product, and will require someone that has both deep internet knowledge as well as the experience to build a highly scalable Attribution engine. The Director candidate will look at the organization from a strategic perspective to ensure we have the right skill sets and team dynamics to deliver a world class Attribution engine. Additionally the Director candidate will push the team members to self-organize, to grow technically, to grow professionally, and to be there to help them remove roadblocks. Leaders at Censys understand that only by trying to distribute responsibility and obsolete ourselves do we actually empower our teams and gain enough time that we can effectively identify new opportunities to improve the organization.
We expect all of our employees to consider customer happiness as our primary goal and a willingness to come to work everyday with a great attitude, both eager to learn and educate, which helps to make us a better organization every day.
This job is a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about helping our team members improve, through feedback, coaching, and delegation
- Understand that great cultures attract great people and you are willing to work relentlessly to help us continually improve
- Understand that passion is contagious, as a leader, your passion for our mission will inspire those around you to bring their best daily
- Enjoy navigating research-heavy projects with a high degree of uncertain to successful outcomes
This job is not good fit if you:
- Think management sits between engineering and the business
- Think engineering’s job is done after the code is written
- You think Product needs to have a long detailed PRD which can be handed over to engineering and worked on for an extended period
- You aren’t willing to push your team harder to think about building systems that work at any scale
What you will bring:
- BS, preferably in the field of CS - or equivalent professional experience
- 5+ years experience in leading a team or multiple teams of software developers
- 10+ years experience in software engineering
- Understanding of common Internet infrastructure such as DNS, IP WHOIS, routing and load balancing technologies
- Experience leading software engineering teams with a history of delivering high quality SaaS applications developed on cloud computing infrastructure (preferably GCP)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and you can communicate about both strategic and technical issues to cross-functional audiences
- History of Scaling team productivity through delegation
- You are a force multiplier to your teams by providing them with effective professional development plans
- Full understanding of the SDLC and how to hold teammates accountable for delivering quality customer experiences
What you will do:
- Lead teams that build and maintain systems that automate the discovery of Internet assets (websites, domain names, IP addresses, etc) as part of an agile development process
- Work with researchers to coordinate the development of competitive differentiators ahead of development and foster a spirit of collaboration between researchers and developers
- Understand the mission of the business and how your organization fits into the bigger picture
- Work with a cross functional team (dev, docs, UX, scrum master) to deliver high quality complete solutions to customers
- Set and maintain a high bar for hiring new talent
- Continually inspect our process and culture looking for areas to improve
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects, including everything from research to design through development and on-time delivery of product releases to customers.
- Work closely with the Product Management team to ensure we're building the best products
- Be the bias towards action in the room. It's easy to get lost in trying to build the perfect system, tackle too much at once, or fall back into waterfall style habits. You will continually show co-workers that staying customer focused and iterative will lead to best results.
- Be responsible for the quality of your organization's work
We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Censys is an equal opportunity employer.