Censys is building the most accurate map of the Internet through IPv4 and IPv6 scanning, DNS lookups, web crawling, ingesting millions of certificates daily, and developing new algorithms to understand network dynamics. We are a true security startup with midwestern roots and we believe that by increasing human intuition and understanding of networks, operations, and security practices, we can help organizations secure themselves longterm. We are looking for a network security expert to join our team as a Product Manager (PM) to help build and deliver a roadmap for our data collection and attribution engine. You will be responsible for ensuring that we collect the most accurate and complete data about devices, networks, and websites and that we continue to be the trusted source for Internet data, and that we can correctly attribute internet entities to the correct company to provide a system of record for all their internet facing assets.
Our ideal PM will have an entrepreneurial mindset, strong internal drive, and the ability to balance thinking big while getting things done. You have a deep understanding of how the Internet operates and take an empirical, data-driven approach to making design decisions. You are able to balance a deep technical understanding of our data with a market-driven approach to product management. You optimize for customer experience and focus on solving enterprise security problems. We expect you to bring customer context to stakeholders across Engineering, UX, Marketing and Sales to help communicate and execute your vision and deliver the best data about the Internet to internal and external customers.
What You Will Do:
- Define the vision, strategy and roadmap for the Internet data collection and attribution engine at Censys by working with external customers of Censys’ data as well as internal product teams
- Work on defining what data to collect from sources such as Internet-wide scans, DNS lookups, web crawling, WHOIS, BGP routing tables, and external threat feeds
- Shape and improve how we expose large datasets to customers, and how we integrate the data into our SaaS products
- Validate customer use cases with the broader market to ensure broad market appeal for the data we are presenting
- Collaborate with engineering and UX on design alternatives to solve customer problems, and iterate, test and validate design alternatives with internal or external stakeholders
- Be the customer advocate in an Agile development environment, ensuring that requirements are fully understood by the development team and that the implementation matches expectations
- Research the technical trends in our industry, and assess emerging products and companies and whether they present a potential threat or an opportunity for our business
- Keep track of our competitor’s offerings and determine how we can best differentiate ourselves and ensure our data provide superior value to potential customers
- Partner with marketing and sales to support product launch, customer communications and go-to-market activities
- Work with external third parties to explore potential partnership and licensing opportunities for our data
What Skills You Have:
- At least 5 year of industry experience with at least 3 years in the domain of networking and/or security.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience
- Solid understanding of network security and the problems Security Analysts face, and the common workflows in that environment, either by direct work experience or by building products for Security Analysts
- You have real experience launching commercial products to market and also working with internal teams that have dependencies on your product
- Understanding of SDKs and APIs, and ability to communicate this to internal and external developers
- Familiarity with network protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, HTTPS, SSL/TLS, etc.
- Understand use cases for network data such as Internet-wide scans, passive DNS, WHOIS, NetFlow, and IP reputation
- Experience operating in an Agile development environment
- You are a strong communicator for both strategic and technical issues to a cross-functional team
- You are comfortable acting as a leader within the company, and you are comfortable influencing people without authority
- Background in data and analytics products is desirable, including an understanding of data warehouse best practices.
This job is a good fit if you can:
- Thrive in a fast paced startup environment where changes happen quickly
- Contribute to our culture of learning. Take ownership of issues, admit mistakes, and work to improve over time.
- Make informed decisions by combining empirical evidence with domain expertise and good judgement.
- Operate and contribute effectively as part of a team where we work together to solve problems
If you prefer to operate within a strictly defined boundary and require defined processes and detailed procedures to operate effectively, this job is not for you.
We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Censys is an equal opportunity employer.