Animal Care Specialist (Contract)
Celsius Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing novel precision medicines in autoimmune disease and cancer by harnessing the power of single cell RNA sequencing and human biology at scale. We are a community of scientists and business professionals aspiring to develop life-changing precision medicines. Our common goal is to markedly improve human health by integrating data, experience and insight. Our environment is rigorous, fast-paced and collaborative, bringing together passionate individuals who are making an impact. We inspire creativity and discovery by embracing an open culture that fosters innovation, teamwork, and excellence. The company’s first therapeutic candidate is an anti-TREM1 antibody for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease, and the company has multiple ongoing drug discovery programs in oncology.
We are seeking a self-motivated, detail-oriented, and collaborative professional who is responsible for managing the day to day operations of our animal research facility and working closely with our team of researchers to ensure their operational needs as met. This individual will be hired as a contractor working 40 hours per week.
- Manage the daily operations of our animal research facility to ensure smooth operations and functionality of our on-site vivarium including daily maintenance, equipment operations and resource management
- Operate and proactive maintain equipment according to safety guidelines, ensuring service needs are minimized but when needed, addressed immediately
- Troubleshoot emergencies in the animal facility in a timely manner (HVAC issues, software issues, etc.)
- Review, maintain and train scientists to comprehend and comply with all facility SOPs and quality assurance standards pertaining to laboratory animals for research
- Ensure consistent and high-quality humane animal care by conducting daily welfare checks, providing food, water, and clean housing for animals according to applicable SOP’s
- Submit & ship samples for colony health monitoring
- Maintain accurate health concern reporting records as required by local, state and federal regulations and serving as liaison with investigators and veterinarian on any health cases found
- Serve as main point of contact for external stakeholders including monthly visits from the Veterinarian and providing tours of the facility for the commissioner and others as required
- Monitor temperature and humidity levels in animal holding rooms and be point person for the ACF alert system.
- Manage & train third party contractors: weekend/holiday animal care techs, & new ACF personnel.
- Maintain legal compliance (MA and Cambridge licenses, Cambridge Commissioner inspections)
- Serve as IACUC administrator by coordinating and training IACUC members, preparing and conducting semi-annual meetings, facilitate IACUC reviews of protocol updates, and animal care and use documentation
- High school diploma, General Education Degree (G.E.D.) or equivalent required
- Minimum of 2 years laboratory animal or related experience in an AAALAC accredited facility
- Experience in small animal handling, euthanasia, tissue collection and drug administration including i.v/i.p/s.c/p.o dosing.
- Experience managing a vivarium a plus
- Willingness to learn new procedures, e.g. tumor implantation and necropsy, willingness to participate with investigator studies.
- Adaptable problem solver with a get-it-done attitude who has the ability to work independently in a fast paced and collaborative environment.
- ALAT/LAT/LATg certification a plus
- IACUC Administrator experience preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
- Must be able to lift liquid containers up to 15-20 pounds