The time is now to start your next career step at Celonis, one of the fastest growing global tech companies worldwide
At Celonis, we are building a leading product that defines the new market category of Execution Management Systems (EMS). We give data-driven & AI technologies context and let them speak in a wholly new way based on our award-winning process mining technology, which is powered by our in-house developed and patented PQL (Process Query Language). The Celonis Execution Management System provides a set of instruments and applications to help companies manage every facet of execution management from analytics, strategy and planning, to management, actions, and automations.
Our technology helps bring immediate value to the biggest enterprises around the globe, and makes a direct impact on how people work day-to-day. For Global 2000 companies, transforming to an intelligent enterprise has become a key strategic priority. Celonis has thousands of global customers including ABB, AstraZeneca, Bosch, Coca Cola, Citibank, Dell, GSK, John Deere, L’Oreal, Siemens, Uber, Vodafone, and Whirlpool. All of them rely on Celonis technology to unlock their full execution capacity and drive change to business processes.
Celonis has grown 5,000% in 4 years and 300% in the past year. Celonis now counts as a Decacorn, having raised $1 billion in our most recent funding round in June 2021, valuing the company at more than $11 billion. We are continuously expanding, especially in Europe, to be able to serve local markets. Recently offices were opened in Paris, Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Madrid, as Centers of Excellence for international tech talent. Our current headquarters are in Munich, Germany and New York, USA, but we have 15 offices worldwide.
At each and every Celonis office, we get things done quickly by cultivating an open-minded culture with creative, collaborative, autonomous teams in which the best ideas win. As part of Product & Engineering you will have the opportunity to grow with a steep learning curve, being equipped with responsibility from day 1.
At Celonis, we believe that every company can unlock their full execution capacity - and for that we need you as a Research Software Engineer.
As a PhD candidate at Celonis, you develop novel process mining capabilities that will be added to the Celonis software stack. We majorly work in Java 8 for the backend. As a framework, we use Spring (MVC) and Spring Boot. For the frontend, we use Angular, Typescript, HTML5, and SASS for creating innovative data visualizations in the field of process analysis. As the market leader in process mining and business transformation in the SaaS industry, we have a deep interest in the academic research in that field. To further strengthen the collaboration with and our contribution to academia, we offer a PhD position in collaboration with Prof. Dr. Wil van der Aalst from the RWTH Aachen. Therefore, we are looking for a Master’s graduate with a strong engineering background and the ambition to come up with entirely new solutions and contribute to the latest related research.
Those novel process-mining features can only be developed by gaining various insights and fully understanding the Celonis architecture, use cases in practice, and the latest research insights. Within your first months, you will be part of the Celonis Engineering team to get familiar with our technology. Moreover, you will identify overlaps between the research performed at RWTH Aachen University and the use cases addressed in collaboration with Celonis. You will spend approximately 50% in Munich and 50% in Aachen. This will be organized in a flexible manner, and you will also co-supervise Bachelors and Master students from RWTH working on Celonis-related projects. You will present your work at the leading scientific conferences in the field. These interactions will help to expedite the research and create synergies. The time distribution will be such that you can gain the relevant knowledge and skills required to successfully complete a PhD thesis.
- ... have a masters degree in a strong technical field (Computer Science, Software Engineering, Data Science) or a comparable education
- … have proven to belong to the top of your graduating class as evidenced by your marks and supported by your references
- … have a genuine interest (or experience) in process mining and are willing to demonstrate this as part of the application process
- … have excellent analytical skills and you are willing to implement your ideas in software
- ... have at least 2+ years of experience in software engineering and gained skills in C++ or another object-oriented programming language
- ... are experienced in developing with Java and Spring framework and have experience in relational Databases
- ... have excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- … are an independent worker with an analytical mind, being able to communicate with various stakeholders in a professional manner
- … plan at least 4 years of time for your PhD thesis with Celonis Munich and RWTH Aachen and are able to travel between both of your thesis collaborators
- ... see people as the fundamental pillar of our success. Therefore, we invest in the personal growth and skill development of each individual alongside with the strengths finder test
- … offer attractive compensation models (best-in-class salary, stock option packages, employee referral bonus, family service, flexible working hours, …)
- ... offer a unique opportunity to work for one of the fastest-growing Software-Unicorns in the world and do a PhD in the leading research group in the field
- … are experts in the field of process mining - the new Celonis Execution Management System provides a set of instruments and applications: the EMS offerings help companies manage every facet of execution management from analytics to strategy and planning, management, actions, and automation
- ... distinguish ourselves through a unique combination of innovative start-up atmosphere paired with great professionalism and self-responsible work
- … provide you the opportunity of working on and influencing exciting novel technologies using the latest scientific insights
- … enable you to present your work at national and international conferences and work towards a PhD thesis in a 4 year period
Celonis is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Different makes us better. Have a look at our Diversity Statement.