Help architect smart, compliant and scalable business growth.
We are looking for a Head of Legal & Operations to be the “backbone” of our business and ensure we continue our rapid growth in a way that is smart and well-advised. You will be responsible for advising members of the executive team on critical legal and business matters, including all corporate initiatives, expansion efforts, and M&A activities. The successful candidate will report to the SVP of Finance and Operations.
The Role You’ll Play:
The ideal candidate would have substantial experience in both law firm and in-house roles (tech preferred) and is looking to continue this in a scaling SaaS, advisory, and content business. This is a hands-on role that requires both a legal and business mind, often juggling multiple projects at once. Individuals who can solely function as attorneys will not be successful candidates.
Your Main Tasks:
- Support sales, product, engineering, privacy compliance, marketing, IT operations, general procurement, and other corporate functions
- Structure, draft and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements, procurement agreements, licenses, promotional agreements, product development agreements, and other general agreements
- Responsible for building and maintaining legal operations and ad hoc business operations
- Manage outside counsel, always seeking to find the best balance regarding cost and expertise and associated risks
- Provide advice and counseling on a wide range of legal topics, including compliance, risk management, sales and use tax, and global data protection and privacy issues
- Experience with cross border employment and transactions
- Partner with the finance and people team on managing the Company's equity portfolio, Carta experience a plus.
- Experience in strategic M&A activities
- Partner with the finance to strengthen internal controls, establish a comprehensive risk management framework, and improve the company's operational velocity (scalability)
- Provide guidance to the People Operations team on employment matters and collaborate on various employment agreements
- Experience with preparing for public regulatory action, SEC filings
- Attract, develop, direct, motivate and drive performance from team
- Development of policies, procedures and training as needed
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically
- Deal with external parties (regulators, external counsel, clients)
What you bring to the table:
- Proven in house experience advising technology companies (SaaS experience a plus) with business acumen
- A minimum of 8 years of experience practicing law with a combination of law firm and in-house experience
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigations, employment law, data privacy, etc)
- Clear communicator, someone who commands the attention of a room to express your opinions or feedback as well as communicating clearly in a written manner. You are able to facilitate meaningful discussions and feedback gathering from others eloquently and with confidence.
- Well-versed in how business operate with financial acumen, ability to strike a sensible and practical balance between legal risks and business objectives
- Previous experience at a public tech company a plus
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- Admission to bar of good standing, NY admitted preferred
What’s CB Insights All About:
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore and exploit emerging technologies. We help the world’s leading companies accelerate their digital strategy and transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine and human intelligence to help you discover and manage your response to emerging technology startups and markets.
- Amazing culture that emphasizes Hard Work, High Standards, Hunger, Helpfulness, and Humility. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 650k+ people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA and FSA options, dental, and vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest and Relax: Competitive vacation and holiday plans
- Refuel: In office daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!
(FOR REMOTE ROLES ONLY)
All of the work for this position will be performed in the U.S. As such, in compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.