Lead the technical architecture of a state-of-the-art SaaS product.
The Role You’ll Play:
As a Principal Engineer at CB Insights, you will be owning the architecture of our market intelligence platform. You will set the overall architecture direction for our software, communicate this direction to the teams, work with the teams on how to move towards the architecture vision, and be a leader of our engineering organization. You will lead by example through active coding and will be hands-on with our entire code base.
About the Platform Engineering team:
CBI’s platform engineering team shapes the future of our product’s architecture. Their focus is to continuously improve our architecture, enable quality code, and positively influence the productivity of our engineers. The team also focuses on establishing common engineering patterns and principles, and works across the engineering teams to guide the application of these There is a culture of experimentation on this team which allows you to try new things and make a big impact.This is a group of helpful and talented engineers who play a pivotal role in our product’s future and development.
Your Main Responsibilities:
- Set the architectural direction of our company’s SaaS product.
- Work with the engineering department’s leadership to establish and enforce coding practices and patterns.
- Be a leader to our engineering teams through your evangelization of the principles and standards you’ve set forth and through your own hands-on coding work.
- Analyze our platform and codebase to prioritize areas of improvement.
- Mentor engineers and guide teams to apply our defined patterns to the existing codebase.
- Maintain and improve our internal tooling used for local development, as well as create new tooling as needed.
- Manage and coordinate department wide tech initiatives.
- Work with engineers to foster positive collaboration across teams, understand and prioritize fixing common sources of friction within the department.
- Work with the product team to understand when the adoption of new practices can be baked into the product development pipeline.
What you bring to the table:
- 10+ years professional experience
- Expertise in modern server-side programming languages (we use Golang and Python)
- Experience architecting enterprise systems with deep knowledge of enterprise design patterns and best practices (incl. modeling, SOA)
- Experience with microservices and APIs (we use GRPC internally and JSON with Rest for our external APIs)
- Relational database proficiency (e.g. MySQL, Postgre SQL, Aurora, Oracle)
- NoSQL technology proficiency (e.g. ElasticSearch, Amazon DynamoDB, Redis)
- Proficiency working with Containers in a cloud computing platform, including troubleshooting issues and creating custom images (we currently use Docker, HashiCorp suite with AWS)
- Believer in Lean and Agile values and principles for building software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Love for experimentation
What’s CB Insights All About:
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore and exploit emerging technologies. We help the world’s leading companies accelerate their digital strategy and transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine and human intelligence to help you discover and manage your response to emerging technology startups and markets.
You’ll be successful here if you:
- Are a collaborative worker
- Have interest in mentoring and coaching those around you
- Are self-motivated
- Enjoy learning new things as well as imparting your knowledge onto others
- Amazing culture that emphasizes Hard Work, High Standards, Hunger, Helpfulness, and Humility. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 650k+ people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA and FSA options, dental, and vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest and Relax: Competitive vacation and holiday plans
- Refuel: In office daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!
All of the work for this position will be performed in the U.S. As such, in compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.