Marshal processes, people, and products.
The director of research is a leadership role in CB Insights’ Intelligence Unit. This role calls for a dynamic and versatile leader who can shoulder the responsibilities of day-to-day management while inspiring analysts to produce best-in-class research.
Our mission is to provide clients with the industry’s smartest, most digestible and most actionable insight into the technologies and market trends of tomorrow. The research director will be an accomplished leader who marshals our processes, people, and products to achieve this mission.
The role you’ll play:
You will lead a team of ambitious, hardworking, and sharp analysts focused on the intersection of financial services and technology.
This role calls for a dynamic and versatile leader who can shoulder the responsibilities of day-to-day management while inspiring analysts to produce best-in-class research. Additionally:
You will join the leadership team on the Intelligence Unit. The director of research will collaborate closely with a small group of research directors working in healthcare, consumer, and other sectors to define a larger vision and strategy for CB Insights’ research products.
You will align analysts with the overall business goals of the company. The director must have strong leadership skills and the ability to hire and inspire others to do their best work, while always meeting our high standards. They should have the determination to lead the team in an atmosphere that calls for aggressive experimentation and change.
You will build relationships with other leaders and individual contributors at CB Insights, including within sales, marketing, and account management, and learn how the research can best help fuel their respective efforts. The person joining in this role will be a thought partner to the VP of research, working closely on department-wide initiatives.
Your main responsibilities:
- Manage and develop a team of analysts, retain talent, and attract the best hires to the team
- Provide prompt and actionable feedback on research deliverables, with a view toward clarity and digestibility, but also consistency and analytical rigor
- Oversee a research calendar for direct reports including free research, behind-the-paywall research, and custom work
- Lead and manage multiple high-complexity research projects simultaneously, collaborating with stakeholders in sales, marketing, account management, PR and more to do so
- Help set the broader vision and direction for the team and help make strategic decisions around research products, process improvements, and coverage
What you bring to the table:
- 10 or more years experience overall, as well as significant experience leading a team
- Some research management/leadership experience a requirement – can be within fields such as market research, tech research, equity research, journalism, or consulting
- Experience in research/analysis related to the financial services industry (e.g. banking, insurance, payments) a plus but not required
- Client-management skills and experience navigating client relationships
- Knowledgeable and fluent in topics and themes related to technology and business. The candidate will be comfortable in adjacent disciplines such as venture capital, corporate strategy, corporate finance, and M&A.
- Embody humility, drive, and a solutions-oriented attitude
- Strong communication/presentation skills and leadership abilities
- Ability to multitask and handle the details while keeping an eye on the big picture
- Some startup experience ideal, thick skin and high tolerance for change required
- Strong MS Excel and Powerpoint skills
- BA/BS required; relevant graduate degrees a plus
You’ll be successful here if:
- You are a proven manager and help us attract, develop, and retain the best analyst talent
- You are process-minded and can help us slash through inefficiency and reduce complexity
- You have a product mindset and can help us answer the following questions:
- What can we do to better meet clients’ needs with our research?
- What are the appropriate research products and how can we continue to innovate in this area?
- How can we make our research more actionable and indispensable?
What’s CB Insights All About:
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore and exploit emerging technologies. We help the world’s leading companies accelerate their digital strategy and transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine and human intelligence to help you discover and manage your response to emerging technology startups and markets.
- Amazing culture that emphasizes Hard Work, High Standards, Hunger, Helpfulness, and Humility. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 650k+ people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA and FSA options, dental, and vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest and Relax: Competitive vacation and holiday plans
- Refuel: In office daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!