We believe "events done right" can and will be a huge business for CB Insights. If you are a proponent of events done right, come help drive not only this team's growth but also support our marketing, sales and customer success efforts.
What started with a few dinners has ballooned into 1100+ person events including our flagship Future of Fintech conference in addition to a few other conferences.
We have data and research on any and every fast-moving industry or technology imaginable and so we see massive opportunities to launch a series of events beyond fintech in everything from healthcare to automotive to retail and beyond.
What are “events done right”?
- They are content-first
- They are built on a foundation of respect for attendees – for their time, for their intelligence and for their goals
- They create connections among the audience
- They are fun, distinctive and don’t feel like every other event
This also means no sponsors on stage doing sales pitches dressed up as thought leadership.
We want to build events that people leave and tell others about.
WHY A GM OF EVENTS?
Our goal is to scale our events business dramatically. We need a proven events leader who can build this business.
The leader will be able to:
Develop a compelling content strategy – This includes identifying the topics that the audience cares about, creating the agenda and format and recruiting the speakers our audience wants to hear from. The goal of an event’s content is to influence our audience’s thinking and leave them inspired and informed.
Drive attendance – We have amazing assets including tech’s largest newsletter (522,600+ subscribers) and several industry newsletters (150,000+ subscribers) to help here as well as millions of visitors to our website. The right leader will know how to leverage these assets and complement them with other strategies to market and promote events to drive attendance and hit aggressive financial goals.
Build a big business – We want to scale events and believe we could be doing many large flagship events across a variety of events. We need a leader who can develop a complete, holistic strategy for these events.
Hit aggressive financial targets – Related to the above, the right leader will know how to:
- Sell tickets to events
- Develop ancillary revenue opportunities around events (while remembering our no sponsor on stage rule)
- Cross-promote the CBI technology platform to drive retention and new business opportunities
Create compelling, memorable events – Ensuring attendees have a great experience on the days of events is absolutely requisite. We want to offer high-end, exclusive and memorable events that they talk about. No detail is too small.
Role and Responsibilities:
Working directly with Anand Sanwal (CEO / co-founder) and Jonathan Sherry (COO / co-founder), the GM, Events will be responsible for the strategy, planning, operations and execution of the company’s world-class events programs. Specifically, this person will:
- Create a strategy and plan for a unique and hard-hitting series of events
- Develop and manage direct P&L of the events business (ticket sales & ancillary revenue streams) along with goals around platform retention and new sales
- Own and execute all aspects of events, including:
- Developing a compelling content strategy
- Driving attendance
- Creating compelling, memorable events
- Work closely with research, sales and marketing leadership as needed to ensure alignment on strategy and execution of events
- Retain, attract, hire and lead exceptional talent
- 8+ years in the corporate events business
- Proven track record of success creating, organizing and managing events at scales ranging from round tables to 1000+ person conferences
- Experience developing a challenger brand
- Previous P&L responsibility with annual budgets exceeding $5 million
- Ability to attract and secure top tier speakers – ranging from public company CEOs to leading investors and insurgent company CEOs as well as economists, researchers, authors and others who our audience would find compelling
- Prowess for creating captivating topics and exceptional content in support of agenda
- Exceptional relationship building and collaboration skills; experience as an event leader having worked cross-functionally to prioritize and deliver on the vision and roadmap
- Experience running post-event communications
- Excellent copywriting skills
- Strong leadership / management skills; ability to recruit and retain top notch talent to join the CB Insights team
- High level of intellectual horsepower with strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Must have high standards
- Have exceptional attention to detail
- Can think strategically as well as be focused on day-to-day execution; clarity of thought is a must
- Exceptional capacity for creativity and execution
- Highly organized, self-directed business style, with a keen sense for and ability to prioritize
- Systems thinking ability to view overall structures, patterns and cycles in systems, rather than seeing only specific events in the system
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to synthesize the relevant information and present it in the most effective, concise, compelling way possible within the organization and at all levels of a customer and partner organization, including executive and C-level
- Insatiable curiosity around industries, events, trends, and data
- Competitive and winning while having fun and being collaborative
- Humility, ambition, tenacity a must
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Perks and Benefits:
- Subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with up to 4% match
- $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Daily lunch stipend
Happy, Helpful, Humble, and Hungry: Check out more about our company culture here.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.