At Cazoo, we’re changing the way people research, finance and buy used cars. And we’re making strides – we are listed on the NYSE, hiring across all departments, and launching new products and markets in 2022 and beyond.
Here at Cazoo we are looking for you - a Senior Optimisation Scientist with experience in the domain of logistics and transportation to lead the design and development of an intelligent decision support engine for our middle and last-mile logistics operation.
You will be leading the efforts on designing, developing, and iteratively improving an optimisation solution to support a middle mile operation that moves thousands of cars every day both in Europe across multiple countries, and the UK.
You will join Cazoo’s Data Science team, and will work in close contact with the Transport Team, responsible for the digital transformation of Cazoo’s operations. The Transport Team is a cross-functional team with people working across engineering, product and design. You will also have a chance to liaise with external suppliers and consultants which will extend the capabilities of the Transport Team.
Within this team, you will focus on modelling and solving optimisation problems arising at the heart of Cazoo’s middle mile operation. As a part of your role, you will also seek to identify and tackle optimisation problems arising in Cazoo’s business at large.
The ideal candidate:
- You have a Masters or PhD equivalent in Operational Research, Optimisation, Computer Science or related subjects along with experience in industry.
- You have an analytical mind, have experience in and are comfortable modelling and solving optimisation problems in a variety of domains, including problems with a dynamic nature.
- You have a reasonable understanding of a range of solving approaches in optimisation, such as Mathematical Programming (LP, MIP, ...), Meta-heuristics, Constraint Programming, etc., and understand well their respective advantages and limitations.
- You have a highly pragmatic, goal-oriented, approach focused on addressing the business needs.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills combined with an ability to adjust your communication style to attune to different technical and non-technical audiences.
- You are comfortable interacting with domain experts having no or little optimisation knowledge to manage expectations and understand the difficulties they face. You have the curiosity required to gather implicit and changing requirements in a fast moving environment.
It would be great if you would also have:
- Strong Software Engineering skills, and have participated in the development of complex software systems.
- Experience coordinating with third-party companies that will augment our capabilities with either deep, narrow expertise or complementary product capabilities.
- Exposure to the logistic domain is a significant plus.
The job requirements are to be used as guidance, so do not be discouraged to apply even if you do not tick every box.
Our selection process will typically involve a chat on the phone, and a few hours of interviews where you’ll have a chance to show your technical skills and meet the team. Our interview process is built around understanding your experience and focus as an Optimisation specialist, not making you sweat.
We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and people with disabilities to apply. Cazoo is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).