Our mission is to transform the car buying experience across the UK and Europe by providing better selection, flexibility, transparency, convenience and peace of mind. Our aim is to make getting your next car no different to ordering any other product online today, where consumers can simply and seamlessly purchase, finance or subscribe to a car entirely online for delivery or collection in as little as 72 hours.
Cazoo was founded in 2018 by serial entrepreneur Alex Chesterman OBE, has a highly experienced management team and is backed by some of the leading global technology investors
We are looking for an enthusiastic, driven and intelligent data engineer to join the Cazoo team in our Global headquarters in London, UK and the wider data team across Munich and Lisbon.
We are a data driven tech organisation embracing the world of event driven and serverless solutions, value adding internal data products and cross cloud provider data lakes and data warehouses. The data engineering team is a vital to that mission - you will play a key part in helping us to be true to this mission
What you’ll be doing:
As a data engineer, you will work on and contribute to the development of our internal data products that give Cazoo that edge and form the key of our data driven company value. Additionally you will have the opportunity to contribute to our data platform that consists of our data lake, data warehouse, pipelines and ML ops framework.
You will work closely with data product managers, data analysts, data scientists and obviously your fellow data engineers to understand the internal team and business needs and implement those optimal data driven solutions that we all strive for. You will focus on implementation with automation in mind, delivering scalable solutions that perform and deliver business value both short and long term, irrespective of data size and being as close to real time as possible.
We expect you to play an active role within a close knit, collaborative data team that helps each other out when needed, and we would like for you to play a part in introducing new ideas and approaches to the problems we need to solve. All with a constant drive to improve efficiency and deliver high quality data solutions to our internal stakeholders.
Key skills and experience required:
We are looking for data engineers to join the data team who are enthusiastic, have an appetite for learning and self-development and can be an effective part of a team that delivers our data strategy
- You come from a software engineering background and have experience in modern software development practices such as version control (e.g. Github), CI/CD development, infrastructure as code (preferably Terraform) and embrace a TDD approach where applicable
- You have a background of developing data driven solutions at a reasonable scale using Python, that result in well tested and robust (ideally serverless) applications
- You are a cloud practitioner within Amazon Web Services (AWS) and services such as Lambda, DynamoDB, S3 and Cloudwatch events / EventBridge hold little secrets from you.
- You are proficient in SQL and understand how a document data store differs from a column data store and when to use which type of data store.
- You have a desire to do things the right way, yet remain flexible with a degree of pragmatism when needed.
- You possess a positive, can-do attitude and do not shy away from a challenge.
- Any exposure to GCP, data science or machine learning projects or frameworks is rated but not essential.
Along with a competitive salary and flexible working, we offer an outstanding benefits package, including annual bonus and 25 days holiday (plus an extra day for your birthday). At Cazoo we are passionate about well being as such provide an annual wellness fund, free access to the Calm app and are partnered with a leading healthcare provider. We also offer a salary matched pension scheme for up to 5%, along with life insurance and critical illness cover.
Our selection process will typically involve completion of a multiple choice technical exercise, an initial chat with the hiring manager, followed by a selection of competency based interviews with peers and stakeholders.
We are committed to ensuring accessibility in our interviews. From a physical disability standpoint, we have ensured our office is accessible but please do let us know if you have any issues or requests.
Similarly, we want to ensure neurodiverse candidates feel confident and comfortable with our interview process but appreciate there is not a ‘one size fits all’ approach to this. As such, please do let us know if you need any changes made to the interview process to accommodate yourself well.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).