Our mission is to transform the way people buy used cars in the UK and Europe by providing better selection, flexibility, transparency, convenience and peace of mind. Our aim is to make getting your next car no different to ordering any other product online today, where consumers can simply and seamlessly purchase, finance or subscribe to a car entirely online for delivery or collection in as little as 72 hours.
Cazoo was founded in 2018 by serial entrepreneur Alex Chesterman OBE, has a highly experienced management team and is backed by some of the leading global technology investors. In 2020 Cazoo became the UK’s fastest-ever unicorn, hitting a billion dollar valuation and recently announced a $7bn business combination with AJAX and will become a publicly traded company in August.
The Consumer Purchasing Operations Manager will own the processing efficiency of this business unit and drive improvement. Consumer Purchases is projected to be our most important growth channel for vehicle acquisition with anticipated volumes in the 1,000s per month by later this year and in the 10,000s by next year.
You will be responsible for overseeing the end-to-end journey for consumer vehicles from purchase to sale in an operational and day-to-day capacity of the business, making sure the cars are going through the process quickly, efficiently, and optimising commercial performance. A person for this role would enjoy complexity, excitement, cross-department engagement, finding key opportunities within to improve or instil new processes, and being organised while moving at a fast pace.
What you’ll be doing
- Overseeing the inventory management from offer made to resale via wholesale or retail ensuring every unit of inventory is moving through the process in a timely manner
- Drive process efficiency to ensure all SLA’s are achieved, e.g. average days from purchase to auction sale/re-listing for retail on our website are achieved and optimised
- Develop and roll out process improvements and changes working cross functionally with Customer Service, Fraud, Logistics, Production, Finance
- Streamlining the refurbishment process for cars we intend to retail
- Identifying and implementing operational process changes that would improve the customer experience
- Assist with offering manually generated offers to any customer we failed to provide an automated valuation, and identifying trends so we can fix it in the automation
- Actively working with Customer Service and Fraud to identify and address outliers prior to a handover for fraud and risks check and update documentation CS teams can access for repeat cases in the future to remove dependencies
- Resolving day to day queries for unique issues with cars purchased and documenting decisions for such situations for scalability
- Assist with the purchases designated for retail, ensuring cars are inspected and any rejections moved to trade quickly, identifying if there are too many rejections or any trends to optimise, so we neither bottleneck production nor let good cars slip away to trade
- Manage the wholesaling of vehicles through trade channels, working with our auction partners, and ensuring timely payment and correct invoicing for all cars sold via wholesale.
- Ensure all data is correct for each unit in our systems, such as switching a car to trade if rejected at refurb, to help have accurate downstream reporting
Key skills required
- Highly motivated individual with previous experience involving constantly finding the best solutions in a dynamic, fast moving startup environment.
- Ability to spot potential issues before they arise and plan accordingly
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and make clear and decisive decisions even under pressure
- Experience of having one to two direct reports in a fast paced, consumer focused environment.
- Ability and experience of influencing at all levels across the organisation and beyond.
- Ability to influence stakeholders across the organisation to drive process improvements
- Effective communication skill and time management
- Occasional travel to our sites will be required
Our selection process will involve an initial chat with one of our recruitment team followed by a selection of competency based interviews with stakeholders and the hiring manager.
We know that diverse teams make better teams and we are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusivity. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, sexual orientation, colour, religion, national origin, disability status or marital status.