Our mission is to transform the car buying experience across the UK and Europe by providing better selection, flexibility, transparency, convenience and peace of mind. Our aim is to make getting your next car no different to ordering any other product online today, where consumers can simply and seamlessly purchase, finance or subscribe to a car entirely online for delivery or collection in as little as 72 hours.
Cazoo was founded in 2018 by serial entrepreneur Alex Chesterman OBE, has a highly experienced management team and is backed by some of the leading global technology investors.
What you’ll be doing:
You’ll join one of our Engineering teams with primary responsibilities for People, Delivery and Technology. You will ensure our engineers are happy and engaged, delivering valuable and high quality software to our customers. You will work closely with our Chief Architect and engineers to ensure the team output is aligned with the wider technical vision for Cazoo.
Cazoo embraces TDD, Clean Code and the values and practices of XP, DevOps and Software Craftsmanship including pair programming and a “you build it, you run it” mindset. Using your leadership skills, you will support creating this world class engineering culture.
- You will be responsible for leading a cross functional team of Software and Quality Engineers working closely with the Product Management and Design team.
- You will be accountable for both predictable delivery and high-quality output of your team and will measure the success of your team through the frequent production of high-quality code and fast pace of delivery to our customers.
- Using your technical background, you will understand the codebase and services your team works on and how they fit into the wider Cazoo picture. You will challenge decisions when they don’t seem right and facilitate technical decisions your team has to make. You’ll champion building and improving our engineering culture which may include hands-on support for your team.
- You will be responsible for the development of your team through coaching and mentoring, supported by compassionate but direct feedback. You will also support our ambitious growth plans through involvement in our hiring and will be a role model for the values of our organisation.
- You will champion the adoption and improvement of advanced modern, agile software development practices within your team.
Key skills and experience required:
- You will have a strong technical background in application development, preferably in a large scale cloud-based setting with modern software development practices such as CI/CD.
- You can demonstrate having worked in an environment which has strong engineering practices and principles such as TDD and pair programming and demonstrate how you have furthered the culture.
- You have a passion for developing others and have experience in managing, motivating, coaching and mentoring software developers, sometimes more experienced than yourself, towards delivering timely, high-quality software together as a team.
- You will be effective at facilitating technical discussions in the team and confident challenging approaches when they don’t seem right. You can demonstrate when you have helped someone further their development through giving difficult feedback.
- You will have solid experience working in a modern agile environment
- And last but certainly not least – someone with a sizeable appetite for learning and self-development, with a fun and sociable side!
What you’ll get from us:
- This is an opportunity for you to be involved in creating a world-class Engineering team and a culture of engineering excellence, working on entirely greenfield projects.
- An opportunity to work on a truly modern application architecture which is fully serverless and event driven with React on the front end and Typescript used throughout.
- You will be supported by a coaching team, which includes international conference speakers, dedicated to supporting you and your team achieving your goals. The coaches cover technical, quality and agile delivery aspects.
- You will be joining a growing, self-organising team, and will have the freedom to decide the most efficient way to work together and get the job done. Our teams and engineers do not work in silos, as such you will be given opportunities to use or develop skills outside of your core skill set too.
- Given the growth we expect to see over the next few years there will undoubtedly be opportunities to progress your career and take on broader leadership responsibilities across multiple teams.
- At Cazoo, you will be an integral part of a team creating a highly visible and tangible product that’s seeking to change and replace a painful process that almost everyone must contend with at some point in their life.
- Last but not least, we foster a company culture that values its staff – as demonstrated by our generous benefits package.
Our selection process will typically involve a chat on the phone, a few hours of interviews where you’ll have a chance to meet the team. Our interview process is built around understanding your experience and focus as a developer, not making you sweat or catching you out.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusivity. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, sexual orientation, colour, religion, national origin, disability status or marital status.