Our mission is to transform the car buying experience across the UK and Europe by providing better selection, flexibility, transparency, convenience and peace of mind. Our aim is to make getting your next car no different to ordering any other product online today, where consumers can simply and seamlessly purchase, finance or subscribe to a car entirely online for delivery or collection in as little as 72 hours.
Cazoo founder & CEO, Alex Chesterman, has already raised 450m in funding from DMG Ventures, Draper Espirit, General Catalyst and Octopus Ventures, amongst others, to expand the Cazoo world. Our accelerated rate of expansion has resulted in Cazoo being crowned the fastest-ever unicorn in the UK, which has lead to us now expanding into Europe and opening an office in Munich!
We’re looking for a smart, experienced, and enthusiastic Senior Software Engineer to join our Munich team at an exciting high-scale stage of our journey and help to build the Europe's best car-subscription experience.
We launched our platform in 2019, built with a truly modern tool-chain: a fully serverless, event driven architecture with React on the front end and Typescript used throughout. Cazoo have built a world-class engineering culture and as a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll be playing a key role in sustaining and driving our mission.
What you’ll be doing:
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our awesome team and take technical responsibility for one of key areas of development, where you will influence decisions around tooling, architecture and Agile processes.
Your role will be focused on delivering new features and functionality that will continue to enhance our customer experience, while improving the overall efficiency and effectiveness of our core systems.
Cazoo embraces TDD, clean code and the values and practices of XP, DevOps and Software Craftsmanship including pair programming and a “you build it, you run it” mindset. You will support the building of a culture of engineering excellence, through coaching and mentoring other engineers in your team as well as furthering your own personal development.
Your passion and experience will make a massive difference as you join a friendly team where teamwork, pride in your work and a positive and practical attitude is key. It’s important that you have strong communication skills, sound decision-making capabilities and a genuinely innovative outlook.
Key skills and experience required:
We are primarily looking for software engineers to join our teams who are humble, enthusiastic and innovative who are keen to work effectively with others as part of a team.
- You will be a Senior Software Engineer who has built a commercial application of significant complexity using any object-oriented language (such as Node, Java, Python or C#)
- You are confident in your application design and architecture skills and have a strong handle on micro-design including dependency flow, clean code and object composition.
- You have extensive experience with modern software development practices such as TDD, CI/CD and a DevSecOps mindset.
- You are comfortable moving between front-end and back-end technologies, even if one of these domains is not your core expertise.
- You can demonstrate how you have supported the effective development of other engineers through coaching and mentoring.
And last but certainly not least – someone with a sizable appetite for learning and self-development, who prides themselves on being a valued member of the team!
If you’re excited by working in a fast paced, scale-up environment, are customer obsessed and want to be part of building an amazing brand – we’d love to talk to you!
What you’ll get from us:
- Joining a high growth scale-up that is always adapting and innovating is a fantastic opportunity, giving you the chance to work with the latest technologies.
- You will be supported by a coaching team, which includes international conference speakers, dedicated to supporting your development and helping you achieve your goals. The coaches cover technical, quality and agile delivery aspects.
- You will be joining a growing, self-organising team, and will have the freedom to decide the most efficient way to work together and get the job done. Our teams and engineers do not work in silos, as such you will be given opportunities to use or develop skills outside of your core skill set too.
- At Cazoo, you will be an integral part of a team creating a highly visible and tangible product that’s seeking to change and replace a painful process that almost everyone must contend with at some point in their life.
- Given the growth we expect to see over the next few years there will undoubtedly be opportunities to progress your career.
We understand that your time is in demand and as such keep our interview process as quick and painless as possible, outlining all timeframes in advance for you to plan around. At present, the interview process will comprise of three remote video calls:
- Pair Programming session – short kata completed with our one of our Senior Engineers (90 mins)
- Technical deep dive Q&A with your future peers (60 mins)
- Values-led interview, with an open discussion about the role (60 mins)
We are committed to ensuring accessibility in our interviews. From a physical disability standpoint, we have ensured our office is accessible but please do let us know if you have any issues or requests.
Similarly, we want to ensure neurodiverse candidates feel confident and comfortable with our interview process but appreciate there is not a ‘one size fits all’ approach to this. As such, please do let us know if you need any changes made to the interview process to accommodate yourself well.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusivity. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, sexual orientation, colour, religion, national origin, disability status or marital status.