We’re looking for a smart, experienced and enthusiastic Principal Software Engineer to join our London team at the early stages of our journey, building the UK’s best car buying experience.
We recently launched our platform, built with a truly modern tool-chain: a fully serverless, event driven architecture with React on the front end and TypeScript used throughout. The vision for Cazoo engineering is to build a world-class engineering culture and as a principal software engineer, you’ll be playing a key role in that mission working with a number of teams in a related domain.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be joining a well funded startup at an embryonic stage with the opportunity to heavily influence the engineering culture. This is a hands-on engineering role where you’ll combine hands-on technical expertise with architectural judgement.
Cazoo embraces TDD, Clean Code, pair programming and a “you build it, you run it” mindset. You’ll be coaching and mentoring product engineering teams to a high level of technical and operational excellence. This could involve leading an event storming workshop, conducting a technical review or simply pairing with engineers to deliver working software.
Day to day you’ll have architectural responsibility for 2-3 cross-functional teams in a related domain supporting the work of our Chief Architect. You’ll be working with your teams to set the technical direction and support them with evaluation and selection of tools and technologies.
Your passion and experience will make a massive difference as you join a friendly team where teamwork, pride in your work and a positive and practical attitude is key. It’s important that you have strong communication skills, sound decision-making capabilities and a genuinely innovative outlook.
Key skills and experience required:
We are looking for a principal software engineer to join our teams that is humble, enthusiastic and innovative who is keen to learn and can work effectively with others as part of a team.
- You have experience leading engineering in a technical or architectural capacity for a service or product of significant complexity.
- You will have worked with distributed architectures and cloud technologies and you are comfortable working with both front-end and back-end technologies, even if one of these domains is not your core expertise.
- You have supported applications in production and have the scars to show for it!
- You are an expert in modern software development practices such as TDD, CI/CD and have a DevSecOps mindset.
- You are confident in your application design and architecture skills and have the right soft skills to facilitate effective and pragmatic technical decision making by engineers.
- You will have a calm temperament and will be adept at building trust with others.
- You are effective at self-organising and you are able to evaluate and prioritise the most important thing to work on. You are also capable of making decisions with incomplete or imperfect information.
And last but certainly not least – someone with a sizable appetite for learning and self-development, with a fun and friendly side!
What you’ll get from us:
- This is an opportunity for you to be involved in designing and building cutting edge solutions and supporting a culture of engineering excellence, working on entirely greenfield projects at a well funded startup.
- You will be supported by a coaching team, which includes international conference speakers, dedicated to supporting your development and helping you achieve your goals. The coaches cover technical, quality and agile delivery aspects.
- You will be joining a growing, self-organising team, and will have the freedom to decide the most efficient way to work together and get the job done. Our teams and engineers do not work in silos, as such you will be given opportunities to use or develop skills outside of your core skill set too.
- The opportunity to work on a product that is highly visible and will provide a positive alternative to the painful existing car-buying experience
If you’re excited by working in a greenfield environment, are customer obsessed and want to be part of building an amazing brand – we’d love to talk to you!