Do you want to work for the world leader in elite sports performance analytics?
Catapult exists to build and improve the performance of athletes and teams at all levels of sport. The company has evolved from an Australian startup to a global leader in sports technology with solutions for every element of the performance ecosystem; from wearable tracking to athlete management and video analysis. Catapult is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX: CAT) and works with over 2,900 elite teams and institutes around the world. The company is headquartered in Australia, with major hub offices in the US and the UK.
We offer software, analytics and services that enable sports organisations at all levels to better scout, recruit, teach and win. Our products can be found internationally at practice facilities and arenas, in meeting rooms and on the road, serving premier teams in the AFL, NRL, NFL, EPL, NBA, NHL, MLS, NCAA and more!
We want people who are passionate about developing innovative solutions.
Are you passionate about mobile and web software engineering? Are you looking for a challenge in a fast-paced company at the forefront of building solutions to optimise athlete performance? Are you a leader with experience architecting web and cloud-based software solutions? Then Catapult sports may be the place for you!
The Principal Web Architect is responsible for designing the technical roadmaps for our cloud-based web and mobile software solutions that support Catapult’s core product solutions. The Principal Web Architect is responsible for creating a new vision of an AWS based unified cloud-based performance data and video delivery platform to provide insights and analytics to coaching/support staff, sports scientists and athletes to assist in optimising athlete performance. The successful candidate will work with other architects and technology leaders, the product management team and a dedicated, geographically-dispersed engineering team. S/he will be responsible for owning the architecture of the existing web, mobile and cloud-based product solutions and creating a realistic roadmap for evolving them into a next generation open platform. S/he will be responsible for architectural design and technology stack choices.
What you’ll do:
- Be a visionary: define and clearly communicate current and future states of the architecture, specifically with how we get from one to the other in support of our company’s goals.
- Collaborate with other Product and Technology Leaders in defining business strategy and designing solutions to optimally address current and future business requirements and infrastructure needs.
- Establish strong, productive relationships with key leaders to ensure the application and benefit of technologies are well understood, including advocacy and support of technological solutions of others in order to move the company forward.
- Define and deliver architectural roadmaps for the products and internal systems of Catapult Sports, accounting for existing technical debt, development bottlenecks, and aspirational architecture initiatives in order to drive revenue, reduce total cost of ownership and cycle time, while supporting overarching company goals.
- Support the delivery of the right solutions at the right time by owning and driving architectural definitions, technical design, and overall delivery of product offerings.
- Guide and shepherd the development of enterprise-class solutions by partnering in ideation and design, establishing standards and best practices, while coordinating across multiple technical teams to advocate for tool and process usage and effectiveness over time.
- Lead the implementation of architectural initiatives and technical spikes when appropriate, such as in support of complex designs or problems, or uniquely different approaches for the organisation at large.
- Continuously ensure engineering and technical quality is kept high and trending towards continual improvement by establishing baselines and monitoring technical metrics (i.e. code coverage, performance, scalability, coverage) that report the overall health of our systems.
- Partner with Technology Leaders to grow the engineering team through recruitment, career coaching and performance evaluations, and help make our organisation great. Be an example of technical leadership and vision with the presence and openness to back it up
What you’ll need:
Industry experience in software development -
- 10+ years of experience in enterprise software design and development, with a proven track record of delivery paired with increasing responsibility in technical and strategic roles
- 5+ years in technical leadership roles
- 5+ years in hands-on programming and architecture design for a variety of enterprise software applications, with a proven track record of shipping products and solutions
- 5+ years experience of working with AWS
The following essential skills and attributes -
- Deep understanding of both technical and non-technical requirements for enterprise SaaS software products and services in the areas of system performance, scalability, security, compliance, usability, ease of implementation, supportability, maintainability, and data centre operability
- Strong working knowledge with demonstrable experience in successfully delivering results with SaaS and N-Tier architectures, application servers, web frameworks, object-relational mappers, and modern web architectures
- Expert in modern web technologies including React.js, Node.js, PHP (Laravel), PostresSQL, MongoDB
- Strong OOP architecture and design skills and a test-first mentality
- Strong experience with various diagnostic tools at every layer: Fiddler, Charles Proxy, browser tools, performance profilers and database profiling tools
- Strong working experience with database analysis, design, and performance tuning, as well as experience working with non-SQL data layer design and architectures (NoSQL, non-relational, open-source solutions), including Big Data/cloud-based tooling
- A passion and drive for excellence, taking on large challenges, and delivering continuous improvements in both technical and team-related areas
- Excellent communication and leadership skills and delivering concise and relevant information, while striking a balance of being able to speak plainly to the hands-on engineers and non-technical stakeholders doing the day to day work
- Supremely adaptable and flexible in order to find solutions and optimise for predictability, balanced against intelligent risk-taking with contingency plans without the paralysing fear of failure, all balanced against learning from mistakes and putting improvements in place quickly
- The ability to objectively identify areas of strength or weaknesses within the organisation, down to the personal level, and work with leadership to hone excellent and purposefully balanced and empowered teams
The following desirable skills and attributes -
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Solid understanding and experience delivering cloud-based data and video solutions.
- Global software experience is a strong plus
- Strong working knowledge of CI/CD, containerisation, and working with cloud-based technologies and providers is a strong plus
- Experience in re-architecting and re-platforming existing codebases or applications is strongly preferred
- Experience with multiple development methodologies such as Agile, Lean, SAFe, XP, or the like
Why you’ll like working for Catapult:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better
- We care about you. We offer competitive compensation and outstanding paid maternity and paternity leave, and we’re serious about work-life balance. We also offer an employee-referral bonus, engage and recognise our people every week and participate in regular social events
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located around the world with state-of-the-art equipment. Be aware, we have very competitive table tennis games in a couple offices so be prepared to play and have fun!
- We work with elite sports teams. Why wait until the weekend to be involved with your favourite sports teams? Every day you can make an impact with our clients who are some of the most elite teams in the world