If you like disrupting the norm and are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. I mean, have you seen our vending machine?!
We are looking for people who are excited to thrive in an environment of impactful change. Team spirit is evident at Carvana and every day we let our passions and creativity foster innovation. We take big swings, set ambitious goals, and challenge each other to make data- and process-driven decisions in everything we do. Here are a few of our stories! We’ve been changing the game since 2013, and we’re not taking our foot off the gas now. Want more of the story?
Check out our background here.
About the team and position:
An energetic industrial construction leader to join a rapidly growing organization. We need someone who wants to be at the forefront of breaking ground in the tech industry…. And in commercial real estate sites! The Associate Director, Construction will report to the Director, Infrastructure Development and Operations to manage a team that is responsible for organizing and overseeing a multi-asset level construction program. The ideal candidate will have relevant experience with commercial construction and knowledge of the building process. The ideal candidate must also possess leadership and people management skills, superior communication skills, and must be capable of working independently and collaboratively. Most importantly, you will see your insights have an immediate, tangible impact every day in a well-funded and rapidly growing company. If you want to truly lead something, and if you want to see and do something different almost all the time, this could be a great fit for you.
This role will be based in Tempe, Arizona (travel required nationally - around 50%).
What you’ll be doing
- Leading a team of construction professionals to meet the commercial real estate growth goals of the company.
- Review and update progress and cost reports, schedules, and requirements for completion
- Obtain permits from appropriate authorities
- Direct the activities of vendors/consultants as required for implementations
- Utilize expertise to provide backup support and facilitate the development and growth of project staff as they expand their roles and responsibilities and strengthen their skills
- Educate and promote the development and use of fundamental project management processes and methodologies
- Take a leadership role in the promotion of project management initiatives
- Recognize the critical path of a project, and work with the appropriate teams to develop contingency plans
- Communicate with both subcontractors and employees on project execution as well as with internal corporate leadership regarding schedules, construction methods, company policies and procedures, permits, safety, sustainability, quality control, and other performance standards
- Interact with outside contractors such as Architects, Civil Engineers, Landscape, Utility Consultants, Soil Engineers, and other professionals
- Negotiate contracts with external vendors to reach mutual agreement
- Assist with interviewing, hiring and managing a team of Project Managers and Coordinators
What you should have:
- At least 7 years of experience in project management with ground-up construction
- Demonstrated experience with managing large teams
- Bachelor's degree in relevant industry
- In-depth understanding of construction procedures and project management principles
- Excellent verbal and written communication and negotiation skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Must be proactive, self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Superior interpersonal skills, ability to interface with a variety of personalities with professionalism
- Proven record of providing excellent internal and external customer service
- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment, with an entrepreneurial approach to project management and a commitment to team support
- Able to help create, develop, and implement process improvements
- Must promote the company culture and mission to all employees, vendors, clients, and business partners
- Must be proficient in MS Office and Adobe
- Must be willing to travel as necessary (up to 50% of the time)
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Hourly Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skillset and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.