If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary).
About the team and position
In today’s world, data is king and this is the team with all the data on our people. If you’re excited about understanding complex data sets from disparate sources and how we can leverage them to make Carvana a great place to work for employees, this is the team for you. Our people systems and analytics team automates all people processes and provides leaders with the people insights they need to make their teams better.
The People Data Engineer is the bouncer of Carvana’s people data – and we have no qualms about tossing out the riff-raff. We extract data from multiple systems across the company and make it easy for analysts to consume to help Carvana become a strong, data-driven company.
What you’ll be doing
- Grow your toolset by working with tools like SSDT and Tableau across multiple versions of SQL Server including 2016, 2017, and Azure SQL Database.
- Get familiar with newer cloud and data platform technologies like S3, Spark, and Redshift to create robust data pipelines to and from our on-premise data stores.
- Become familiar with the multitude of ways data flows through our systems in order to contribute creative and scalable problem-solving solutions, as well as to ensure the data integrity among various data stores and ETLs.
- Learn new languages that can be used to create more extensible ETL solutions, such as Python.
- Utilize dev, test, and production environments, adhering to change management requirements for system implementations.
- Participate in team lunch and learns, design sessions, and code reviews.
- Work with People Operations team members to understand and deliver data so that non-technical resources can understand/respond as needed.
- Take part in cross-functional project teams with data scientists, analysts, executives, and talent leaders.
- Work with leaders and users to define business intelligence needs and translate them into functional requirements to the technical team.
- Work with end-users and other IT teams to resolve operational issues and mitigate risks as applicable.
- Help architect, design, and prototype solutions to support business strategies and deliver business value.
- Influence across the People Operations team on how data should be collected, communicated, and visualized. You’ll have the chance to drive decisions that touch every single employee and team in the company.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you should have
- An undergraduate degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, etc. or equivalent experience in the field.
- At least 5 years of experience working with database development in SQL Server.
- Experience working with various relational database models as well as the concepts of normalization and referential integrity.
- Proven ability to know what a query plan is and how to view one, the purpose of primary, foreign, and unique keys, and understand the difference between DML and DDL.
- Understanding of basic indexing concepts, like the difference between clustered/non-clustered.
- Excitement toward working on performance tuning and process streamlining (woo!).
- Track record of working in industry best practices and implementing processes accordingly.
- The ability to work cross-functionally with engineering, data science, and business teams and communicate across them in a clear and concise manner understood by all.
- You have the flexibility to move and shake with competing and changing priorities.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.