At Carvana, we sell cars, but we’re not salespeople. Since 2013, we’ve been making it our mission to change the way people buy cars. We saw a huge problem with how much it can suck to buy a car the traditional way, so we committed ourselves to tackling one of the largest, yet-to-be-disrupted markets in the world – the $1T per year U.S. car market (yes, that’s $Trillion with a “T”).
With the ability to search thousands of vehicles from our expansive inventory, to high-resolution 360° photographs of our vehicles’ interior and exterior, to real-time financing and the ability to complete contracts without visiting the back room of a dealership, we provide a seamless, online car buying experience for consumers that can be completed from their desktop or mobile device. All our vehicles are inspected and reconditioned based on our 150-point certification checklist and come with a 7-day return policy. We also operate our own logistics network to deliver cars to customers as soon as the next day, as well as offer customer pick-up at our state-of-the-art Car Vending Machine locations (yes, you read that right). By putting customer satisfaction at the core of our business, we’ve built a no-pressure, no-haggle online car buying experience that saves our customers time and money.
For more information on Carvana and our mission, sneak a peek at our company introduction video.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR….
Carvana is looking for an enthusiastic and talented commercial real estate attorney to join our team. This role will be an integral part of an ambitious and focused team, working diligently to execute on hyper-aggressive real estate expansion efforts across the country in various asset classes including retail, infrastructure and office. The Real Estate Counsel (or Senior Counsel DOQ) will, as a collaborator and/or project lead as appropriate, support the Legal Department and Real Estate Legal team in contract negotiation, diligence, closing, finance / sale-leaseback, property operation matters and other real estate legal needs.
As a vital part of a team that rolls out Carvana Vending Machines, delivery hubs, inspection and reconditioning centers, and other components of the Company’s real estate network you’ll need to bring experience and background commensurate with the role you’re seeking. The Real Estate Counsel (or Senior Counsel DOQ) - will report directly to our Associate General Counsel (ACG), and will own or maintain responsibility for significant and complex projects and tasks based upon the individual’s experience, efficiency, and proficiency. As our volume and scope of transactions evolve, the role may shift in its requirements to own and manage or collaborate and supplement responsibilities for an array of Retail / Office or Infrastructure (Hub / Inspection Center) transactions. The Real Estate Counsel (or Senior Counsel DOQ) should bring a depth of experience to support the needs of the team across all asset classes and possess the experience to be a resource to other attorneys and supporting team members, step into a transaction when needed to lead or support contract or diligence efforts, or run a lease or acquisition from start to finish. The ideal candidate will identify strength and experience in some combination of commercial real estate transactions, ideally with demonstrated experience executing upon and leading all core responsibilities of a real estate transaction from contract drafting and negotiation to diligence (environmental / title / survey, etc.), through closing / commencement and supporting property operations issues as they arise.
Your day-to-day tasks and responsibilities will require a strong blend of teamwork and collaboration, time management, task-shifting / re-prioritization, creativity, and a demonstrated comfort with and ambition to apply your commercial real estate experience to a high volume of real estate transactions in a fast-moving company. If you’re not ready to take on a broad scope of time-sensitive and impactful tasks and projects with new challenges or opportunities presented with regularity, you might want to look elsewhere. If you find this opportunity attractive, you’ll be able to get immersed in the day-to-day operations of a blitzscaling online automotive retail start-up. Most importantly, you will see your work have an immediate, tangible impact every day in a rapidly growing company with a team that rarely shies away from a challenge.
- Support the Real Estate Department (including its Retail and Infrastructure teams) in all aspects and phases of the real estate acquisition, operation and disposition or finance life-cycle
- Work with a wide array of members and stakeholders from the Legal Department, Real Estate Department, Finance and other cross-functional business teams that interconnect in real estate growth and property management / facilities efforts
- Draft and review / negotiate / revise short and long term leases and purchase agreements across all asset classes (retail / office / infrastructure), together with collateral agreements and diligence as needed to bring a transaction from LOI to closing or commencement
- Identify risks and liabilities in real estate transactions and be prepared to communicate concerns with recommended solutions
- Draft, negotiate and facilitate resolution / execution of contract amendments, cross-parking / access / utility easements, CCRs and association documents, and more while providing sound advice and counsel to the Real Estate Department on letters of intent, brokerage representation agreements, etc.
- Review, negotiate, and analyze site specific due diligence, including title insurance commitments, surveys and environmental reports, while efficiently communicating key concerns to Real Estate Department or Legal Department stakeholders in an accurate and efficient manner
- Assist with or take lead on various aspects of Real Estate closings or post-closing matters
- Assist the Real Estate Department in preparing and negotiating construction-related contracts for sites acquired by Carvana based on forms previously created by outside counsel
- Coordinate with external real estate counsel or opposing counsel, local land use counsel, other internal teams, vendors and service providers
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited undergraduate institution
- A Juris Doctor degree from a top-tier law school with 10+ years of directly relevant commercial real estate legal experience (law firm or in-house) in acquisitions or leasing is required
- Proficiency and confidence in executing and managing real estate contract negotiation, diligence and closings, in one or more asset classes
- Membership in good standing with a United States State Bar
- Exceptional organizational, communication and time-prioritization skills
- Willingness to spend considerable time drafting, reviewing and analyzing real estate contracts, while collaborating on strategy and risk considerations
- Ability to differentiate between theoretical and real-world considerations in a fast-paced dynamic real estate department that requires a balance between critical thinking and efficient decision-making
- Enthusiasm and energy reflective of your ability to be a self-starter and own projects, while being receptive to continued learning, growth and collaboration
- Hiring is contingent on candidate verifying their eligibility to work in the United States and passing a complete background check and drug screen
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN RETURN:
- Full-Time Salary Position
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401K with company match
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- Company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.