At Carvana, we’re tackling one of the largest, yet-to-be-disrupted markets in the world – the $1T per year U.S. car market (yes, that’s $Trillion with a “T”). We provide a seamless, 100% online car buying experience for consumers from end-to-end: acquiring, inspecting, and certifying high quality cars, providing 360° high-res photography inside and out of the vehicle, generating real-time financing and warranty options, and delivering the car to our customers’ doors in as little as 24 hours with a 7 day money back guarantee. With no dealerships or commissioned sales people, we save thousands of dollars per car in expenses that we pass on to our customers.
Recently named Forbes’ 5th Most Promising Company in the U.S., we offer the excitement, culture, and opportunity of a start-up, with the capitalization and infrastructure of a much more established business. For more information on Carvana, take a look at our company introduction video.
The Bouncer of information…
Our Database team is the bouncer of Carvana’s data – and we have no qualms about tossing out the riff raff. Our team partners with various internal stakeholders – from marketing to data science to engineering – to help Carvana become a strong, data-driven company.
As a Database Engineer, you can expect to…
Be the connection between our systems and our data. You will have the opportunity to learn and grow working alongside a highly skilled and supportive team on exciting projects that will help shape Carvana.
Additionally, you will:
- Recommend and implement database High Availability and Disaster Recovery configurations and procedures
- Refresh databases as needed by product and development teams
- Become familiar with the multitude of ways data flows through our various systems in order to contribute creative problem-solving solutions
- Utilize development, test and production environments, adhering to change management requirements for system implementations
- Participate in team lunch and learns, design sessions, and code reviews
- Communicate regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security
- Take part in cross-functional project teams with data scientists, product buyers, and customer advocates, among others
- Work with leaders and users to define business intelligence needs and translate them to functional requirements to the technical team
- Work with end-users and other IT teams to resolve operational issues and mitigate risks as applicable
- Help architect, design, and prototype solutions to support business strategies and deliver business value
Enough about us….
- You hold (or have the equivalent experience to) a degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, etc.
- You have at least 5 years of experience working with relational and non-relational databases
- You are familiar with the concepts of normalization and referential integrity
- You have worked with and feel confident with SQL Server
- You know what a query plan is and how to review one
- You know the purpose of primary, foreign, and unique keys
- You know the difference between DML and DDL
- You understand basic indexing concepts, like the difference between clustered/non-clustered
- You have full-time work experience under your belt and have been paid in money, not in credits
- You are excited about performance tuning and process streamlining (woo!)
- You have an interest in learning industry best practices, and implementing processes accordingly
- You’re a forward thinker; you will predict how future company evolution will affect processes implemented today
- You are fearless of being un-knowledgeable about a particular subject area/technology; you yearn to learn and ask questions, with a strong desire to grow through challenging work and new technologies
- You practice excellent written and verbal communication
- Your attitude rocks
What you can expect in return….
- A full-time, salaried position
- Medical (employee medical fully paid by Carvana), Dental, and Vision benefits
- A 401K with company match
- Company cell phone
- All the perks your heart desires (gym, iced coffee on tap, snacks, daily food truck)
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.