At Carvana, we sell cars, but we’re not salespeople. Since 2013, we’ve been making it our mission to change the way people buy cars. We saw a huge problem with how much it can suck to buy a car the traditional way, so we committed ourselves to tackling one of the largest, yet-to-be-disrupted markets in the world – the $1T per year U.S. car market (yes, that’s $Trillion with a “T”).
With the ability to search thousands of vehicles from our expansive inventory, to high-resolution 360° photographs of our vehicles’ interior and exterior, to real-time financing and the ability to complete contracts without visiting the back room of a dealership, we provide a seamless, online car buying experience for consumers that can be completed from their desktop or mobile device. All our vehicles are inspected and reconditioned based on our 150-point certification checklist and come with a 7-day return policy. We also operate our own logistics network to deliver cars to customers as soon as the next day, as well as offer customer pick-up at our state-of-the-art Car Vending Machine locations (yes, you read that right). By putting customer satisfaction at the core of our business, we’ve built a no-pressure, no-haggle online car buying experience that save our customers time and money.
WORKING AT CARVANA YOU WILL NOTICE THAT…
You'll need to be a great communicator, a brand ambassador, and possess the know how to get the job done.
We expect bright people, willing to roll up their sleeves, take on new assignments, and juggle many things at once.
In return for your hard work, you'll have an opportunity to work at one of the fastest growing and creative technology companies around, as well as help us promote a life-changing product and develop a world-class team every day.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR….
An experienced and collaborative Associate Director or Director of Loss Prevention to join a rapidly growing organization and build out a comprehensive program to efficiently and effectively provide security services and protection at its facilities. The Loss Prevention AD/Director will design cross-functional policies and procedures and partner closely with Operations and other company stakeholders (such as HR, Corporate Insurance, Supply Chain, and Facilities) to foster buy-in and implement same. Additionally, this individual will hire, supervise and support a combination of external and internal loss prevention team members to manage day to day efforts. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in creating loss prevention programs for companies with thousands of employees across varied US locations, preferably in both retail and distribution or storage settings. The ideal candidate must possess leadership and people management skills, superior communication skills, quantitative rigor, and must be capable of working independently and collaboratively with Carvana’s varied operational functions. Most importantly, you will see your insights have an immediate, tangible impact every day in a disruptive and rapidly growing company. The position is corporate based in Tempe, AZ and will report to Carvana’s General Counsel.
Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Create, direct, and implement strategy for the company’s Loss Prevention function, including building out efficient internal and external personnel and systems for same to support Carvana’s hyper-growth business for the next 5-10 years, as well as executing on and owning approved programs
- With input and participation from stakeholders, design a specific Loss Prevention program for each Carvana facility type and spearhead the implementation and evolution of same. The successful candidate will be adept at training, education, collaboration, and communication in a large, geographically diverse and rapidly growing organization.
- Support the HR, Operations, and Risk/Safety departments by partnering to jointly develop, communicate, maintain, and enhance LP policies, practices, and initiatives that balance security, culture, financial, and operational goals
- Hire and supervise LP managers and their teams at various company locations in the U.S., primarily vehicle reconditioning and storage facilities, including developing and leading same and reviewing and approving their reports
- Design, track, and report on key performance indicators and exception based reporting to help reduce loss and identify trends and root causes, including working with Risk and Operations groups to determine how to collect, store, and organize data relevant to loss prevention. This will also include vetting and partnering to implement technology and tools and customizing same to address LP needs through quantitative rigor and data analysis
- Serve as department’s liaison and security subject matter expert, including providing guidance and technical expertise to various operating groups (primarily inventory storage, last-mile delivery, and fraud prevention)
- Source and supervise the management of security service vendors
- Ensure investigations of internal and external theft and fraud are properly conducted, in close partnership with HR and applicable operating departments.
- Consult with facilities and operations groups to implement loss prevention measures into site designs
- Create and iterate upon efficient periodic facility security assessment procedures and ensure that the loss prevention team effectively performs same
- Build and manage a team that effectively addresses security incidents, including potential and actual work-place violence incidents per policy as well as conduct testing of the incident response plans
- Interface directly with law enforcement for open cases and relationship building.
- Foster open and productive working relationships with other applicable company departments
- Support expansion groups for security set up and new locations.
- Exercise prudent discretion regarding confidential and sensitive personnel information
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Domestic travel required - 15%
These skills are a plus:
- At least 20 years of Loss Prevention leadership experience, preferably including distribution, warehousing, and fulfillment
- At least 15 years of experience overseeing loss prevention at multiple locations simultaneously
- At least 10 years’ experience directly supervising and managing a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and data-driven skill set
- Philosophical alignment around structuring loss prevention to protect assets and employees while balancing the operational and cultural needs of the business
- Experience working closely and communicating effectively with diverse set of stakeholders in an ever-changing, rapid growth environment with tight deadlines; Ability to take initiative in a constantly-changing work environment while maintaining flexibility and a collaborative attitude
- Able to help create, develop and implement process improvement(s)
- Exceptional organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Must promote the company culture and mission to all employees, vendors, clients, and business partners
- Background in program development (writing samples to be provided for interview).
- Knowledge of how to utilize Microsoft systems.
- Certification or background in Wicklander-Zulawski (WZ) techniques.
What you can expect in return:
- Full-Time Salary Position
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401K with company match
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- Company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.