At Carvana, we sell cars, but we’re not salespeople. Since 2013, we’ve been making it our mission to change the way people buy cars. We saw a huge problem with how much it can suck to buy a car the traditional way, so we committed ourselves to tackling one of the largest, yet-to-be-disrupted markets in the world – the $1T per year U.S. car market (yes, that’s $Trillion with a “T”).
With the ability to search thousands of vehicles from our expansive inventory, to high-resolution 360° photographs of our vehicles’ interior and exterior, to real-time financing and the ability to complete contracts without visiting the back room of a dealership, we provide a seamless, online car buying experience for consumers that can be completed from their desktop or mobile device. All our vehicles are inspected and reconditioned based on our 150-point certification checklist and come with a 7-day return policy. We also operate our own logistics network to deliver cars to customers as soon as the next day, as well as offer customer pick-up at our state-of-the-art Car Vending Machine locations (yes, you read that right). By putting customer satisfaction at the core of our business, we’ve built a no-pressure, no-haggle online car buying experience that our customers time and money.
For more information on Carvana and our mission, sneak a peek at our company introduction video!
Carvana Summer Internship Experience:
Ready to take your prospective new career for a spin? By joining the Carvana Internship Experience, you can expect to be part of a program that will have you both playing a vital role in a cross-functional department project, as well as receiving a holistic view of Carvana and our dynamic start-up culture.
As a Carvana Intern, you won’t be sent on coffee runs, but you will be expected to enjoy all the free cold brew coffee you can drink and participate in company-wide Pickleball tournaments. You will work alongside team members across multiple Carvana divisions, including, People Operations, Accounting, Tech Services, Logistics and Finance.
For this paid, full-time summer internship spanning ten weeks, we are dedicated to investing in your professional development and are seeking eager candidates who are ready to roll up their sleeves and help us deliver on our motto to provide a better way to buy a car!
We’re looking for a Data Science Intern with a passion for tackling big problems. You will work with more seasoned data scientists to tackle problems around logistics, and inventory. From sourcing new data to apply the latest techniques and methodologies, you will have a direct and significant impact on Carvana's operations and business. You will have the opportunity to work with a top-caliber team, develop insights from a large array of proprietary data sets, and apply cutting-edge methods in optimization, modeling and statistics. Most importantly, you will have the satisfaction of working side-by-side with our Analytics team and witnessing the direct impact your products have on day-to-day operations.
- Develop and/or enhance optimization algorithms, models and systems for
- Carvana’s last mile delivery scheduling processes where we have single and 2 car haulers doing customer deliveries and pickups
- Utilizing our nationwide transportation network of 9 car haulers efficiently
- Develop predictive models to be used in efficient delivery date/time assignment of customer purchases
- Develop Python code for integrating optimization and analytics algorithms/ models to other systems such as Inventory Management Systems, Carvana Website, Transportation Management Systems
- Develop analytical and simulation models to evaluate different strategies in our nationwide and last mile logistics networks
- Create reporting tools/systems for monitoring the performance of above models/systems
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Currently pursuing a MS or PhD degree at an accredited university.
- Have a GPA that is proof of your solid work ethic (GPA of 3.5 or above required).
- Some experience in optimization/operations research projects, either academic or industrial
- Ability to demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills with real-life data sets, and be able to abstract mathematical models from real-life problems
- Coding skills in Python with experience in production-level code, active github bitbucket repos big plus
- Knowledge of relational databases and some experience in SQL development
- A solid understanding of probability and statistics
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN RETURN…
- Full-Time Hourly Position for the course of the 10-week program
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- Awesome company culture
- Perks like unlimited snacks and iced coffee on tap
Carvana is an equal opportunity employer. Carvana complies with all applicable local, state, and federal laws. If hired, all employees are required to follow and abide by all company policies, procedures, and practices. The duties and responsibilities identified herein are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time. Must be legally authorized to work for Carvana in the United States. Hiring, following a conditional offer of employment, is contingent upon passing a complete background check.