At Carvana, we sell cars, but we’re not salespeople. We saw a huge problem with how much it can suck to buy a car the traditional way. To fix that, we committed ourselves to tackling one of the largest, yet-to-be-disrupted markets in the world – the $1T per year U.S. car market (yes, that’s $Trillion with a “T”). We provide a seamless, online car buying experience for consumers from A-to-Z. From acquiring, inspecting and certifying high quality cars, to providing 360° high-resolution photography inside and outside of the vehicle, to generating real-time financing and warranty options, to providing consumers with the option to have cars delivered to their driveway in as little as 24 hours or pick-up from one of our state-of-the-art Car Vending Machines (yes, you read that right) all with a 7-day Money Back Guarantee, we’ve made it our mission to redefine the car buying status quo. With no dealerships or commissioned salespeople, we also save thousands of dollars per car in expenses that we pass on to our customers.
Recently named Forbes’ 5th Most Promising Company in the U.S., we offer the excitement, culture, and opportunity of a start-up, with the capitalization and infrastructure of a much more established business. For more information on Carvana, take a look at our company introduction video.
WORKING AT CARVANA YOU WILL NOTICE THAT...
You'll need to be a great communicator, a brand ambassador and possess the know how to get the job done. We expect bright people, willing to roll up their sleeves, take on new assignments and juggle many things at once.
In return for your hard work, you'll have an opportunity to work at one of the fastest growing and creative technology companies around, as well as help us promote a life-changing product and develop a world-class team every day.
In our downtime, we have ping pong and corn hole (or “bags,” depending on where you’re from) tournaments. However, the pace is pretty quick around here, so you'll need to be prepared to keep up.
There are Wacky Pants Wednesdays…you’ll have to come correct here to compete with our CEO Ernie.
We’re looking for experienced engineers with a passion for tackling big problems to work within our Decision Support Systems team within larger Analytics group in Carvana. Our team is responsible for algorithms and systems that automate and optimize movement of 15K+ per month vehicles cross-country and last mile using our 9 car hauler and single car hauler fleet. We develop, test and maintain near real time algorithms and systems that continuously optimize vehicle and truck movements, delivery dates promised to customers and availability of appointments on our website. As an engineering leader in our team, you will help develop robust, scalable, maintainable backend, front end, API components that are the foundation of these sophisticated algorithms. You will have the opportunity to work with a top-caliber team of data scientists and engineers and will build software and systems that transforms advanced mathematical algorithms and models to practical decision support tools in a scalable and robust way. Most importantly, you will see the tools and systems you build have an immediate, tangible impact on our customers every day in a rapidly growing company.
- Build and manage deployment pipelines and infrastructure for python-based applications and decision support capabilities for critical software applications:
- Logistics Schedule Optimization
- Last Mile Delivery Optimization
- Staff/Driver scheduling Optimization
- Availability and Feasible Delivery Date Estimation
- Design and develop robust and scalable infrastructure for high-availability applications using technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Support lifecycle software development for teams using automated testing and deployment with continuous integration tools and pipelines (e.g. Git, VSTS)
- Design and develop simple and intuitive User Interfaces as needed
- Lead the analytics and data science team in code quality, maintainability and unit/integration testing methods
- Develop comprehensive solutions for application logging, error reporting, alerting, and task scheduling
- Conduct performance and throughput analysis and prototyping of solutions to improve system scalability
- Support data scientists and software engineers in building and deploying new services, defining data pipelines, and engineering robust and scalable data pipelines for model training, batch analytics, and real-time optimization and decision support applications
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3+ years of experience completing projects with complex data-driven optimization or analytical applications, or components with scalability, availability and robustness concerns
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Math, or Hard Sciences (Or equivalent practical experience). Graduate degree preferred.
- Strong coding and application development skills in Python
- Strong experience with enterprise software development using modern tools and approaches including:
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Continuous Integration (e.g. Jenkins, Cruise Control, VSTS, etc.)
- Integration/unit test frameworks (Junit, Nunit, PyUnit, etc.)
- Full regression / A/B testing
- Experience in applying one or more of the above techniques to practical business problems in supply chain, pricing, revenue management, inventory control
- Fluency in SQL
- Ability to independently manage and prioritize efforts and complete projects
- Strong communication skills
Technologies We Use:
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Cloud service platform providers (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Object-oriented Programming
- Data Science ecosystem (numpy, scikit-learn, matplotlib, Jupyter)
- SQL Server
- Apache Spark, DataBricks
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN RETURN
- Full-Time Salary Position
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits
- 401K with company match
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- Company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check and drug screening.
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.