At Carvana, we sell cars, but we’re not salespeople. Since 2013, we’ve been making it our mission to change the way people buy cars. We saw a huge problem with how painful it can be to buy a car the traditional way, so we committed ourselves to tackling one of the largest, yet-to-be-disrupted markets in the world – the $1T per year U.S. car market (yes, that’s $Trillion with a “T”).
With the ability to search thousands of vehicles from our expansive inventory, to high-resolution 360° photographs of our vehicles’ interior and exterior, to real-time financing and the ability to complete contracts without visiting the back room of a dealership, we provide a seamless, online car buying experience for consumers that can be completed from their desktop or mobile device. All our vehicles are inspected and reconditioned based on our 150-point certification checklist and come with a 7-day return policy. We also operate our own logistics network to deliver cars to customers as soon as the next day, as well as offer customer pick-up at our state-of-the-art Car Vending Machine locations (yes, you read that right). By putting customer satisfaction at the core of our business, we’ve built a no-pressure, no-haggle online car buying experience that saves our customers time and money.
For more information on Carvana, take a look at our company introduction video.
WORKING AT CARVANA YOU WILL NOTICE THAT…
You'll need to be a great communicator, a brand ambassador and possess the know how to get the job done.
We expect bright people, willing to roll up their sleeves, take on new assignments and juggle many things at once.
In return for your hard work, you'll have an opportunity to work at one of the fastest growing and creative technology companies around, as well as help us promote a life-changing product and develop a world-class team every day.
In our downtime we have ping pong and corn hole (or “bags,” depending on where you’re from) tournaments. However, the pace is pretty quick around here, so you'll need to be prepared to keep up.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR….
Carvana is looking for an enthusiastic and talented attorney with expertise in employment law to join our team as an Associate Counsel or Corporate Counsel for Labor & Employment. This Counsel’s primary responsibility is to provide employment law advice and guidance to the business on a wide variety of topics. This Counsel will support human resources professionals throughout the United States. This role is located at corporate headquarters in Tempe, Arizona, and reports to the Senior Counsel in charge of Litigation, Employment, and Regulatory Affairs.
- Counsel our People Operations team and other business leaders on compliance with federal and state employment laws, including but not limited to Title VII, FMLA, ADA, FLSA and state equivalents.
- Advise business partners on issues related to recruiting, hiring, discipline, terminations, leaves of absences, accommodations, wage and hour, and employee relations.
- Assist People Operations team with the creation, rollout, and maintenance of various employee programs and policies.
- Draft, review and advise on contracts that affect employees.
- Lead or advise on internal investigations on employment law issues.
- Actively manage employment-related litigation, including demand letters, individual arbitrations, and lawsuits, as well as class actions on a nationwide basis.
- As necessary, train People Operations team and business leaders on compliance with laws and internal policies.
- Partner with People Operations team and relevant business leaders to implement an effective labor relations strategy.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of relevant laws and share that knowledge across various teams, including educating other members of the Legal Department.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A JD with 4 to 9 years of relevant legal experience in employment law.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage a diverse and complex workload while maintaining priorities and proactively anticipating issues.
- Substantive experience and/or expertise with major federal employment laws such as Title VII, FMLA, ADA, FLSA and state equivalents, as well as policy development in support of those laws. Bonus points for state law expertise in California, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, and Ohio.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Consistent good judgment and ability to apply legal knowledge to help create practical business solutions.
- Enthusiasm and energy to contribute to and thrive in an energetic and rapidly-evolving company with a collaborative atmosphere.
- Self-starter with an appetite for problem-solving and the ability to “own” projects or tasks to see goals through to completion.
- Membership in good standing with a United States State Bar.
- Hiring is contingent on candidate verifying their eligibility to work in the United States and passing a complete background check.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN RETURN:
- Full-Time Salary Position
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401K with company match
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- Company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.