At Carvana, we’re tackling one of the largest, yet-to-be-disrupted markets in the world – the $1T per year U.S. car market (yes, that’s $Trillion with a “T”). We provide a seamless, 100% online car buying experience for consumers from end-to-end: acquiring, inspecting, and certifying high quality cars, providing 360° high-res photography inside and out of the vehicle, generating real-time financing and warranty options, and delivering the car to our customers’ doors in as little as 24 hours with a 7 day money back guarantee. With no dealerships or commissioned sales people, we save thousands of dollars per car in expenses that we pass on to our customers.
Recently named Forbes’ 5th Most Promising Company in the U.S., we offer the excitement, culture, and opportunity of a start-up, with the capitalization and infrastructure of a much more established business. For more information on Carvana, take a look at our company introduction video.
The Bouncer of information…
Our Database Development team is the bouncer of Carvana’s data – and we have no qualms about tossing out the riff raff. Our team partners with various internal stakeholders – from marketing to data science to engineering – to help Carvana become a strong, data-driven company.
As a Database Developer, you can expect to…
Be the connection between our systems and our data. You will have the opportunity to learn and grow working alongside a highly skilled and supportive team on exciting projects that will help shape Carvana.
Additionally, you will:
- Grow your toolset by working with tools like SSDT and Tableau across multiple versions of SQL Server including 2016, 2017 and Azure SQL Database
- Get familiar with newer cloud and data platform technologies like S3, Spark and Redshift to create robust data pipelines to and from our on premise data stores
- Become familiar with the multitude of ways data flows through our systems in order to contribute creative and scalable problem solving solutions, as well as to ensure the data integrity among various data stores and ETLs
- Learn new languages that can be used to create more extensible ETL solutions, such as Python
- Utilize dev, test and production environments, adhering to change management requirements for system implementations
- Participate in team lunch and learns, design sessions and code reviews
- Work with others to understand and deliver data so that non-technical resources can understand/respond as needed
- Take part in cross-functional project teams with data scientists, product buyers and customer advocates, among others.
- Work with leaders and users to define business intelligence needs and translate them to functional requirements to the technical team
- Work with end users and other IT teams to resolve operational issues and mitigate risks as applicable
- Help architect, design and prototype solutions to support business strategies and deliver business value
Enough about us….
- You hold (or have the equivalent experience to) a degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, etc.
- You have a decent grasp of the relational database model
- You are familiar with the concept of normalization and referential integrity
- You have worked with and feel comfortable with SQL Server
- You know what a query plan is and how to view one
- You know the purpose of primary, foreign, and unique keys are
- You know the difference between DML and DDL
- You understand basic indexing concepts, like the difference between clustered/non-clustered
- You have full time work experience under your belt and have been paid in money, not in credits
- You are excited for performance tuning and process streamlining (woo!)
- You have an interest in learning industry best practices, and implementing processes accordingly
- You’re a forward thinker; you will predict how future company evolution will affect processes implemented today
- You are fearless of being un-knowledgeable about a particular subject area/technology; you yearn to learn and ask questions, with a strong desire to grow through challenging work and new technologies
- You practice excellent written and verbal communication
- You are proficient with MS Office (mainly Excel and Word)
- Your attitude rocks
What you can expect in return….
- A full-time, salaried position
- Medical (employee medical fully paid by Carvana), Dental, and Vision benefits
- A 401K with company match
- All the snacks and drinks your heart desires (plus iced coffee on tap!)
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.