At Carvana, we sell cars, but we’re not salespeople. Since 2013, we’ve been making it our mission to change the way people buy cars. We saw a huge problem with how much it can suck to buy a car the traditional way, so we committed ourselves to tackling one of the largest, yet-to-be-disrupted markets in the world – the $1T per year U.S. car market (yes, that’s $Trillion with a “T”).
With the ability to search thousands of vehicles from our expansive inventory, to high-resolution 360° photographs of our vehicles’ interior and exterior, to real-time financing and the ability to complete contracts without visiting the back room of a dealership, we provide a seamless, online car buying experience for consumers that can be completed from their desktop or mobile device. All our vehicles are inspected and reconditioned based on our 150-point certification checklist and come with a 7-day return policy. We also operate our own logistics network to deliver cars to customers as soon as the next day, as well as offer customer pick-up at our state-of-the-art Car Vending Machine locations (yes, you read that right). By putting customer satisfaction at the core of our business, we’ve built a no-pressure, no-haggle online car buying experience that our customers time and money.
For more information on Carvana and our mission, sneak a peek at our company introduction video.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to support our data science and predictive modeling team. The successful candidate will work with our data science and business intelligence teams to seek out, consume and productionalize new data, both structured and unstructured. Additionally, you will be responsible for designing and maintaining the predictive modeling data pipeline from data acquisition and facilitation of model building to production scoring and model maintenance. The candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, challenging environment and be comfortable managing multiple disparate projects and using myriad tools such as Spark, MS SQL, Python, R, etc. as necessary to get the job done. You will have an insatiable curiosity and drive to learn and implement new technologies, programming languages and database systems to help ensure you and our Data Scientists are maximizing business impact.
As a Data Engineer in Data Science you can expect to…
- Architect robust and scalable data pipelines for predictive model training, monitoring, and serving
- Support data scientists and software engineers in building and deploying new RESTful services
- Design and develop high-availability applications using technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Develop comprehensive solutions for application logging, error reporting, alerting, and task scheduling
- Design both relational and non-relational data models for optimal storage and retrieval
- Create ETLs to integrate data between different systems and formats using tools like python, SQL Server Data Tools, etc.
- Design processes that contain sensitive data in a responsible manner (using certificates, hashing, AD permissions), ensuring that necessary security practices are followed
- Have the ability to read beyond the initial specs of a project to determine if there is additional functionality that should be added
- Use basic statistical and visualization techniques to analyze the resulting data sets of your processes
- Learn and stay abreast of new technologies that can improve the efficacy of the analytics and data science teams
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Math, or Hard Sciences (Or equivalent practical experience). Graduate degree preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in data engineering and data warehousing
- 2+ years of experience building systems designed for scalability, availability, and robustness
- Strong experience with at least one cloud service platform provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Strong coding and application development skills in Python
- Strong experience with enterprise software development using modern tools and approaches including:
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Continuous Integration (e.g. Jenkins, Cruise Control, VSTS, etc.)
- Integration/unit test frameworks (Junit, Nunit, PyUnit, etc.)
- Full regression / A/B testing
- Experience with Flask (Starlette or FastAPI is a plus)
- Fluency in SQL
- Ability to independently manage and prioritize efforts and complete projects
Technologies We Use:
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Cloud service platform providers (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Object-oriented Programming
- Data Science ecosystem (numpy, scikit-learn, matplotlib, Jupyter)
- SQL Server
- Apache Spark, DataBricks
What you can expect in return….
- A full-time, salaried position
- Medical (employee medical fully paid by Carvana), Dental, and Vision benefits
- A 401K with company match
- All the snacks and drinks your heart desires (plus iced coffee on tap!)
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.