The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to create more owners.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S. and a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Problems You’ll Solve
Carta is in search of a Principal Product Designer who is passionate about leading complex, high impact projects, and influencing product strategy through design vision. This person will work alongside an exceptional design team creating and shipping innovative digital product experiences across the company. The Principal Product Designer will be an individual contributor, rotating across our R&D organization to work on gnarly product and design challenges. Our ideal candidate is savvy, curious, enjoys working cross-functionally, and can effectively communicate vision to leadership. They can advocate for the nerdiness of design craft in addition to the business case of a given design direction. This person must be a self-starter who can work through ambiguity to lead projects from start to finish. We are looking for someone who can inspire fellow designers and stakeholders, and lead with both user empathy and conviction.
As a Principal Product Designer, you will play a crucial role throughout the organization— influencing the future of Carta products. You’ll have the opportunity to design for a range of customer and user archetypes including: company founders, employees vesting equity, investors, law firms, tax experts, and our Carta service and delivery colleagues.
Additionally you will:
- Drive the overall strategic design direction for mission-critical areas of the business
- Deeply understand user needs and drive alignment around solutions to core business problems by creating models, concept diagrams, workflow diagrams, and journey maps
- Design flows, sketches, prototypes, and drive implementation for your products
- Design experiences for web and mobile applications
- Lead design reviews and mentor other designers and stakeholders to up-level their UI/UX design skills
- Contribute to building a strong human centered design culture
The ideal candidate is passionate about building intuitive solutions to complex problems that provide direct value to users and enjoys driving strategy, ideation, prioritization, problem solving, and product delivery. If that sounds like you, we would love to talk to you. In our search, we’re prioritizing:
- 10+ years of product design experience
- A strong portfolio of case studies that demonstrate a successful track record of human-centered design solutions that address strategic business problems
- Deep expertise in UI/UX craft; passion for visual design, interaction details, typography, and pixel perfect deliverables
- Experience influencing cross-functional teams to adopt bold design solutions
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills that allow you to convey the value of your design solutions.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment — balancing rigor and scrappiness.
- High comfort level with ambiguity; openness to critique from other disciplines and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
- Passion for mentoring designers and teaching about design craft and quality
- Nice-to-have: experience with finance or the venture capital space
Carta’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, exceptional benefits, and, for applicable roles, commissions plans. Our minimum cash compensation (salary + commission if applicable) range for this role is:
- $196k - $245k [New York, NY]
- $176k - $220k [Seattle, WA]
- $196k - $245k [San Francisco, CA & Santa Clara, CA]
Final offers may vary from the amount listed based on geography, candidate experience and expertise, and other factors.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.