Sr. Design Technologist, CartaX
The company you’ll join
At Carta, we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack who enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The team you’ll work with
You will be joining our newest vertical at Carta called CartaX. The CartaX team creates more owners by removing restrictions on when and how employees exercise equity. Our team is building a greenfield marketplace that will allow the trading of shares in return for liquidity for employees of pre-IPO companies. CartaX is the world’s first vertically integrated financial marketplace for private securities.
The Design Technology team collaborates with designers, engineers, and product managers across all of CartaX to build the front end for the CartaX application, define our branding guidelines, establish coding patterns and processes for our teams to move more efficiently, and create and maintain CartaX.com.
The problems you’ll solve
The Design Technology team collaborates with CartaX’s product, marketing, design, and engineering teams to develop and build the customer-facing workflows that drive interaction with our transaction platform as well as help define requirements for complex, large-scale initiatives. Crafting user-focused experiences is a key focus of our team because we have a wide spectrum of users who rely on the product for an understanding of their ownership options.
Some of the problems you’ll help us solve are:
- Influence our team’s developer experience (DX) by making decisions about our code patterns, defining processes, and choosing the tools we use in our technology stack
- Partner with the design, product, marketing, business, and engineering teams to prototype and implement new product features
- Build new features that convert complex, multi-user, transactional offline processes into delightful self-service products
- Contribute to the design, implementation, and testing for your features
- Collaborate with the Ink team (Carta’s design system) to build best-in-class UI components for web and mobile
- Participate in weekly design workshops and act as a mentor for junior design technologists
- Build products that consistently scale
- Leverage shareable components for web and mobile applications
- Spin up prototypes for testing features
- Manage tasks efficiently and communicate effectively
- Share and implement ideas to help our teams move faster
- Give feedback to the design team
- Maintain the CartaX marketing site and help it scale as the site grows
We are looking for a skilled Frontend Engineer with a deep understanding and care for performance, accessibility, and design to envision the future of private market trading. We need someone who can drive strategy, ideation, prioritization, problem solving, and product delivery. If you are passionate about building intuitive solutions to complex problems that drive direct value to users, we would love to talk with you. In addition, we’re prioritizing:
- 4+ years of relevant web front end development or creative technology experience—ideally at a financial or tech-forward software company
- Familiarity with animation libraries and data visualization tools like D3.js and Highcharts
- Familiarity with design and prototyping tools like Figma
- Familiarity with development tools and frameworks like Docker, Node, and Gatsby
- Experience leading projects that involve complex layouts and have unique functionality for both desktop and mobile
- Expertise with accessibility, responsiveness, and component-driven development
- Experience creating and building design systems
- Deep understanding of how to prototype at the appropriate degrees of fidelity to solicit clear customer feedback
- Experience designing for measurable outcomes including the ability to participate in both generative and evaluative user research
- Experience working and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment
- Ability to bridge the gap between design and engineering by coding front end components and interactions, pushing code to production and reviewing pull requests
- Strong sense of usability and design in consumer applications
- Emphasis on exploring, experimenting, and innovating on current patterns and designs
- Self motivation and willingness to solve problems independently
- Strong communication skills to coordinate cross-team efforts
- Motivation to solve problems that are crucial to the business that impact the entire organization
- Desire to learn
- An eagerness to show us projects from your GitHub/GitLab profile or personal site that demonstrate unfailing advocacy for the user, highlighting: e-commerce design work, mobile design work, analytical decision-making, and strategic thinking
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.