The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
You’ll be working with engineers, designers, product managers and business partners across Carta. You’ll find engineers that can teach you about software unique to our industry, and business team members with deep knowledge in accounting and venture fund management.
Within your team, Investor Services (IS), you’ll meet teammates of all experience levels and backgrounds, passionate about creating software that unlocks more owners. Weekly (currently virtual) rituals, celebrations and show-and-tells are all ways you’ll build great bonds with the team you work alongside. You’ll be surrounded by people who find purpose in their work, and have fun doing it at the same time. You’ll find teammates with deep levels of pride in what they do, and a customer-obsessiveness that is furthered by regular feedback cycles. You’ll find that your teammates deeply understand the domains in which we operate — we not only understand what we are building, but why we’re building it, and the impact it will have on our customers.
Importantly, you’ll find a higher than “normal” level of transparency, trust and autonomy - something Cartans (Carta employees) have celebrated since the earliest days of the startup.
The Problems You’ll Solve
As an Engineering Manager in Investor Services, you’ll execute in one of the most dynamic roles Carta engineering has to offer. Here’s a few examples of the problems you’ll be asked to solve:
- People: Carta has a great team today. We’re growing, and that means hiring. You will work with other engineering leaders in the IS team to discover, interview, and recruit great team members and build them up into the next all star player.
- Drive accountability: Building more owners is as much of a Carta product problem, as it is part of a manager’s responsibilities. You will work with stakeholders to better understand the needs of the business, and with your team to create realistic expectations for project success.
- Expand collaboration: Business unit organizational models benefit from speed and autonomy, but absorb known trade-offs in company-wide collaboration. Engineering managers are the hedge against that trade-off, bringing teams and engineers across Carta together.
- Assess technical risk: Your experience will be a major factor in empowering your team to isolate, and reduce, technical risk. You will fill blind spots for your engineers, helping form the critical bridge between business, product, and engineering.
- Establish best practices: Engineering managers are the last line of defense for quality control, best practices and effective design strategies. Helping your team, and peer teams, navigate these challenges is core to the problem space for managers.
- Improve performance: Your team is a reflection of you, your values, and your support. Your team will need regular mentorship, advice and feedback to operate effectively. Contributing to this space along with your leadership team, is part of effective management at Carta.
The Impact You’ll Have
There is no greater representation of the impact that you will have, than the impact your team will have over the course of your tenure. To that end, your major focus will be on making the Investor Services roadmap a reality.
On IS, we are migrating an entire industry - Fund Administration of venture capital funds - into software. Venture Capitalists, Fund Managers and practically any other investor involved in collective investment strategies use Fund Administrators to help operate their funds. The existing, service-based solutions are expensive, inefficient, and prone to human error. With the introduction of Carta’s event-based accounting platform, Carta is (and you are) positioned to unseat the incumbents, and revolutionize this industry.
We’re looking for someone rare in this role, and we’re willing to take our time to find this person. You’re a strong and proven manager with 2+ years of experience managing highly technical teams in a deeply complex business domain.
- You care deeply about software and the leverage that software brings. You can use your past experience building software to show your team the way in which they can improve our customer’s leverage.
- You are willing and capable of getting in the trenches alongside your fellow engineers and reports. You lead by example, and take pride in your work.
- You are exceptionally technical. You can describe complex ideas simply. You are just as capable working toward a long term road map as you are jumping into a fire to solve a customer’s problem 5 minutes from now.
- You are as hungry to learn about our customers and business as you are about the latest stack or Docker release.
- You are energized by, and capable of, super-charging the careers of those that report to you. You’ve been able to help mentor more junior engineers, and support more senior engineers in reaching their potential. You’ve directly managed teams for at least 2 years.
- You’ve expanded the worldview of your teams, celebrated diversity of thought and background, and tied it all back through successful product launches in your past.
- You recognize the power of ownership, and have lived examples of where ownership played central roles in your career- through software and through business.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.