The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
The Design Technology team at Carta drives the design system with which we deliver experiences in order to create more informed owners everywhere. As shepherds of the look and feel of the entire Carta ecosystem, we work with other teams’ designers, engineers, and product managers to ensure interfaces and information are presented in a clear, consistent manner.
The Design Technology engineering team works alongside our team of Design Technologists, implementing a shared vision of interactions, visual elements, and other building blocks used by all of Carta’s engineers and designers. These critical parts of our design ecosystem need inventors and champions. We nurture a team environment that promotes taking risks and being bold, and we measure success not by features shipped, but rather by how much leverage the tools and building blocks we ship have created.
The Problems You’ll Solve
Carta has grown quickly and entered markets where we can provide high customer and user value. In late 2019, the company reorganized into business units with the autonomy to chase these opportunities. The central platform team is responsible for incubating new product opportunities, building high-leverage resources (like Carta’s Ink design system) to make design coherency easy across independent teams, and supporting the core platform infrastructure that powers Carta’s ambitious growth. We need seasoned front-end developers with a passion for atomic, reusable, scalable code to get us there.
As an Engineer in the Design Technology team, you will:
- Work both on improving and redesigning currently existing components, as well as conducting and participating in discussions around API ergonomics and interface design
- Support our primary users, engineers and designers from other departments, as they use the tools and building blocks we provide
- Improve the current existing components while keeping an eye out for breaking changes, and providing automated ways to upgrade if that’s the case
- Make sure existing and new features are covered by unit, visual, and integration tests
- Leverage AST parsers and other static analysis tools to gain insight into the design system’s usage and impact
The Impact You’ll Have
Building the central platform design team at Carta means creating leverage for Carta’s designers and business units. By investing in the foundations, standards, tools and practice of design we can move faster and build better products for our customers.
The central design team already has some of our best and longest tenured design team members. As a part of that team, you’ll mentor and be mentored by your teammates as you learn about the unique challenges of perfecting a design system for finance.
This team’s efforts should very literally impact millions of users and their associated wealth creation through equity. The business units and their independent design teams are focused on building products for their customers – your job is to create the standards, processes, and infrastructure that will enable the company to move faster. You will also apply these standards and processes in best practice examples with our product incubation teams. This is all in support of our mission to create more owners.
Successful engineers in the Design Technology team are:
- Experts in React, its ecosystem and history, and know the ins and outs of using advanced features like hooks, context, render props, etc;
- Experienced testers and are capable of both writing testable code and of writing unit, visual and integration tests;
- Collaborators with designers and are familiar with their tools and workflows;
- Experienced with Typescript and understand the value of strongly, correctly-typed code and the amount of time it saves to do so;
- Seasoned writers of documentation, proposals, and specifications. Each Ink component has to be explained in detail in a way that is accessible for designers and comprehensive for engineers;
- Developers of tools that automate and simplify their and others’ workflows, from command-line interfaces to design and prototyping tools;
- Knowledgeable about accessibility, usability, WCAG and ARIA tools and features and their impact on people who rely on assistive technology
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.