The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
The Public Policy Director will work in the Policy function within the Office of the CEO and report directly to our Head of Policy. In this role, she or he will collaborate across the Office of the CEO, our Platform (corporate function), and our Business Units.
The Problems You’ll Solve
The Public Policy Director will bring a creative mindset to shape and execute on our policy goals to create more owners and make private markets liquid. The person will be responsible for engaging internal and external stakeholders to proactively identify policy challenges and opportunities, build a plan that leverages resources, and execute to develop a regulatory framework that drives liquidity into private markets. This includes project management; regulator engagement; coalition building; policy analysis and formation; and delivering results. In this role, you will:
- Lead the development of public policy framework to increase private market liquidity and guide financial products and activities. She or he will work across the enterprise to sharpen ideas, leverage assets, and advocate on proposals
- Monitor key regulatory and policy developments that will inform how Carta operates and proactively identify actions we should take to address challenges and seize opportunities
- Lead policy engagement strategy with both legislators and regulators related to capital markets and/or financial products at a federal and state level
- Present to senior executes and the broader company on policy initiatives and related actions
- Engage directly with policymakers on our agenda
Successful candidates will have financial services and capital markets expertise, as well as the ability to develop and advocate on related public policy. She or he will bring a long-term vision with an ability to build and execute towards that goal. Please apply if you identify with the following:
- Experience with public policy formation and advocacy related to financial services and capital markets
- Must have 5+ years experience in the public policy field
- Preference for advanced degree with experience in government, legal, or private sector work in technology or financial services
- Ability to engage with senior internal and external stakeholders to communicate ideas, shape proposals, build consensus, and execute
- Excellent verbal and written communicator, with the ability to write for clarity and influence. Products may include internal memos, regulatory comment letters, policy analysis, as well as communications for a broader public audience
- Ability to distill complex concepts into simple, actionable recommendations
- Intellectual curiosity, openness to feedback, and a team-player mentality
- Strong project management skills with relentless focus on execution and results
- High level of integrity, attention to detail and excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to manage and handle sensitive and confidential information with the highest levels of integrity, ethical standards, discretion and sound judgment
- Possess an ownership mentality with bias toward action