At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
About The Role & Team
The Liquidity team is looking for creative problem solvers to work on a greenfield initiative to build a marketplace for private securities, CartaX.
As the ECM Analyst on the Liquidity team at Carta, you’ll be responsible for influencing products and services for and engaging with issuers on CartaX, an issuer centric electronic trading platform offering tailored liquidity programs for privately held companies, funds, and other fractional assets.
Specifically, you will support client onboarding, liquidity program design and planning, due diligence, financial modeling, and valuation modeling for presentations to client executives. You will be accountable for generating data-driven insights and reports for middle-market and late stage private companies regarding going public, private and public company comparables, M&A, capital raising, shareholder analysis, ESG and activism, and investor targeting.
The ideal candidate has experience advising companies on transactional matters, including investor selection, tax, valuation, and accounting implications of secondary transactions for private companies. You can build and customize financial and transactional models for valuation and deal structuring purposes. The individual in this position will partner closely with our issuer sales and investor coverage team to assist in the preparation and delivery of presentations to internal and external stakeholders, including management, financial advisors, outside counsel, and auditors in the context of advising, interpreting, and applying the CartaX liquidity tiers and transactional model. The individual will provide research and insights and generate assets and collateral for engagement with listed companies and prospects concerning their broader capital markets needs, and the various ways CartaX can advance their business goals. The individual will work within a dynamic and cohesive team that spans across product, business, compliance, and technology.
Problems You Will Solve
- Development of various models for secondary transactions for private companies that optimize tax, valuation, and accounting impact
- Perform various valuation methods: comparable companies, precedents, etc., as part of deal structuring and analysis
- Develop recommendations for product offerings, including new transaction structures, market insights, and investor relations
- Alongside issuer sales, help prepare, review, and deliver memoranda and management presentations for private company executive teams regarding CartaX offerings and solutions
- Perform diligence, research, analysis, and documentation of transactions to propose new listing criteria
- Affinity for current events, critical issues, and relevant news
Skills & Experience
- 3+ years of experience in a finance or business background, particularly on the quantitative side, with experience in capital markets advisory work.
- Working knowledge of corporate governance matters.
- Expertise in fundamental analysis.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-based environment with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of deal structuring and closing principals.
- Strong communication and networking skills.
- Impeccable research, quantitative and analytical skills, especially in explaining market events.
- Strong modeling skills
- Ability to organize and track overlapping tasks and assignments, with frequent priority changes.
- Proficiency in Bloomberg, Factset, Capital IQ, or other data service provider
- Series 7 and 24 a plus
- Experience with Python, R, or other programming language for data analysis
Carta is a Series F company and is backed by top-tier VCs like Andreessen Horowitz, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Meritech Capital, and more.