At Carta, we’re building the future of equity and ownership. We’ve changed how companies, investors, and employees manage equity. Now, we’re transforming how capital markets operate. Our goal is to create more owners and increase transparency and liquidity for shareholders. More than 900,000 investors, law firms, and employees use our platform, and we manage over $575B in equity.
A Design Technologist at Carta merges design and engineering skills to create interactive prototypes, design and develop components, ship production-ready code for user interfaces, and improve and rethink Ink, our Design System. Design Technology is where visual design and user experience skills and industry best practices, and latest HTML, CSS and React/TypeScript architecture approaches fuse together to create a beautiful set of tools for teams to create great products fast, and maintain them at scale.
The Platform team needs a Senior Design Technologist to collaborate with Product Designers, Product Managers and Engineers to build the future of our design system. Senior Design Technologists’ ultimate purpose is to enable great design at scale. They know how to improve the quality of the design system itself, how to provide help and support to Product Designers and Engineers from other teams to extract maximum value from the system, and they have trained eyes that identify future Product teams’ needs ahead of time.
You will be surrounded by dedicated, passionate Designers, Engineers and Product Managers in a (super) fast paced fintech startup that successfully merged groundbreaking product ambitions with a warm, helpful and transparent culture.
Problems You Will Solve
- Participate in conception and iteration of user interfaces, having the Ink Design System and optimal code solutions in mind.
- Bridge the gap between Product Design and Engineering, by coding front-end components and interactions, pushing code to production and reviewing PRs.
- Code interactive prototypes to enable testing concepts as early as possible.
- Participate in Design Reviews to ensure designs make best use of the system.
- Advocate for our Ink Design System. Articulate the benefits of a systematic approach and persuade Product Management, Product Design and Engineering to embrace it.
- Identify opportunities to scale the Ink Design System and actively participate in building the next components.
- Understand the constraints of the system. Leverage Ink for the 80% of UI/UX problems that are recurrent, and explore the modularity of the Design System to embrace the 20% uncharted territory.
- Participate in User Testing sessions and translate the needs of users back into the design system.
Skills & Experience
- 5 years of combined Design and Engineering experience
- Be part Designer and part Engineer. You need to have great visual skills and user interface knowledge and at the same time be an expert at writing high quality code.
- Have a deep knowledge of HTML, CSS, Sass, and React.
- Ability to code front-end components and interactive prototypes, pushing code to production and reviewing PRs.
- Experience articulating trade offs to designers and engineers
- Systematic thinking: how can modularity replace custom non-reusable UI.
Carta is a Series F company and is backed by top-tier VCs like Andreessen Horowitz, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Meritech Capital, and more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.