Cars.com has been revolutionizing the automotive industry for over 20 years. Our work isn’t easy, but we love doing it – and we didn’t become a market leader by shying away from a challenge.
We move fast, collaborate across functions and approach problems from every angle – all to make car shopping and ownership great experiences. And, we’ve built a culture that’s second to none: We love our work family as much as we love the work.
If you think you’re ready to bleed purple, check out your opportunity below:
Your next role
Cars.com is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated individual to work as a Sr. Associate in Cars.com’s Strategy and Business Development Department. This team takes on many responsibilities including long-term strategic planning, partnerships, competitive intelligence, the development of new revenue streams, research and analytics, some internal training as well as mergers and acquisitions.
Your role is designed to contribute to revenue generating business partnerships as well as support other responsibilities of the department. While the role does focus on generating revenue, this is not a traditional sales role offering commission. The motivation to enter into partnership is driven by the strategic value to Cars.com. You'll have the opportunity to work on revenue-generating ideas that may grow into a core part of Cars.com's business.
Your primary responsibilities will include prospecting new partners, managing existing partners, negotiating contracts, secondary market research, data analysis, fact finding, business networking, developing internal and external proposals, creating new revenue generating ideas for Cars.com and plenty of interaction with Cars.com personnel from a wide variety of departments. Your ability to have a conversation with a prospective partner and very quickly be able to dissect their business model and identify points of intersection on which to partner will be important.
Other responsibilities may include but are not limited to various research and analytics projects, updating or creating internal training materials, publishing informational products such as white-papers or research briefs, supporting operational improvement projects across the organization, supporting other types of non-revenue generating business partnerships including content syndication and in some instances assessing investment and acquisition opportunities.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be Able To:
- Have a positive attitude and uncompromising ethics
- Evaluate business opportunities through interaction with prospective partners and internal stakeholders
- Understand business models and be able to quickly deduce the business model of prospective partners
- Build simple financial models to evaluate new opportunities, prospect partners, and negotiate partnership agreements that will create value for Cars.com
- Execute projects with limited direction and create exceptional work products
- Distill large amounts of data and research into impactful presentations and well-supported recommendations
- Conduct industry analysis, research, and create content for senior management review
- Perform simple quantitative analysis
- Understand the basics of strategy
- Support onboarding of new team members and work collaboratively with others in a team setting
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Strong analytical and structured problem solving
- Secondary research
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent project and time management skills
- 4 to 6 years of relevant experience with a college degree in business, MBA preferred though not mandatory
- An understanding of online business models required and familiarity with the automotive digital marketplace is helpful though not mandatory