Cars.com is a leader in the automotive digital marketplace. Since 1997, we have built our B2B and B2C brand to preeminent status in the industry. While enjoying great stability, we continue to grow. Our workforce has more than doubled since 2006, and our revenue has increased more than 150% in that same time. Our highly engaged workforce enjoys our dedication to work/life balance, wellness and career growth as well as a rich set of employee programs. We’re big enough to provide abundant resources and small enough for employees to make an immediate impact.
The Field Sales Director is responsible for overall revenue and customer retention and growth for a defined geographic region. As one of eight Field Sales Directors across the country, this role is also responsible for helping to set strategic direction and ensuring the execution of the Cars.com sales plans. This role is also heavily focused on attracting, developing, coaching and retaining a large field sales force, working through Regional Sales Managers. The Field Sales Director leads and encourages the team to leverage creative thinking and consultative sales approaches with the overall goal of achieving continued fast paced growth and the Cars.com market leading position.
- Help attain the mission of making car shopping and selling a great experience through the efforts of the sales team.
- Build and maintain a positive work environment within the team characterized by high expectations and aggressive goal attainment while fostering an open, accountable and fun environment.
- Develop teams in order to provide a high level of engagement with the market leading Cars.com customer base and provide partners with key insights to affect positive change.
- Ensure Regional Sales Managers and the entire team is fully aware of strategic sales priorities and of the revenue and growth goals and customer-driven initiatives and priorities.
- Maintain high energy and company connectivity through communications, contests and events, creating a fun work atmosphere and winning culture while maintaining high productivity levels.
- Ensure team has access to information necessary to do their job and feel informed.
- Execute on company initiatives to ensure that the sales team meets and exceeds goals.
- Lead and coach team to think and act strategically and creatively and empower teams as much as possible.
- Ensure optimal levels of communication throughout the team (i.e. right balance of phone meetings, in person, etc).
- Travel across territory to ensure exposure to clients, partake in client and team events and to be as accessible as possible to team members for coaching, escalation of issues and as a communication channel to company management.
- Actively participate in company and team meetings, as required. Bring ideas and initiatives as well as opportunities to senior management that will continue to move the business forward.
- Ensure reporting and sales activity (e.g. Saleforce.com entries) is effectively executed by team.
- Direct professional development activity (internal and external) to ensure team members are proactively developing their skill sets.
- Keep abreast of industry, client and regional developments and trends and communicate such information throughout the team and organization, as appropriate.
- Ability to hire, attract and retain winning teams
- Record of successful achievement within a field sales environment and building/nurturing core processes to drive results
- Passion for winning while excelling in leadership, creative thinking, team building, initiative and flexibility
- Ability to drive successful skip level conversations that result in specific coaching for the manager
- Strong relationship building and influence capabilities
- Ability/desire to work in a high growth and fast-paced environment
- Proactive, results oriented, self –starter
- Strong customer-orientation and ability to quickly assess customer needs and provide proper solutions
- Passion for success and winning
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently and as required
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 10 years of online/ecommerce B2B/B2C sales B2B experience
- At least five years’ experience managing teams