At Cars.com, we help shoppers meet their perfect car match, and people find their perfect career match. As one of the top places to work in Chicago, according to The Chicago Tribune, Built-In Chicago and others, we pride ourselves on a culture of growth and innovation.
Cars.com has revolutionized the automotive industry for both shoppers and sellers through technology and solutions for buyers and sellers alike. We never shy away from a challenge, move fast, collaborate across functions to approach problems from every angle. We’ve built a culture that’s second-to-none and share core values that keep everyone working full-speed at the same goals with the same open, outcome-driven and bold attitudes.
Cars.com is a CARS brand. CARS includes the following brands: Cars.com, Dealer Inspire, DealerRater. Learn more here!
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
Cars.com is looking for a Principal Analyst to grow and scale our new Experimentation function, leading the development of a best-in-class experimentation practice and cultivating a culture of learning across the enterprise. Data and natural curiosity are at the heart of our organization, and experimentation will be a driving force in making our marketplace a frictionless and satisfying experience for vehicle buyers and sellers.
You will partner closely with our Product, Marketing, and Data Science teams to design A/B/n tests across our web and app properties, reaching millions of users on a monthly basis. These learnings will be utilized to improve user experience, grow marketing efficacy, and deliver even higher ROI to customers.
This role resides on our Digital Analytics team where we fuel strategy and decision making through insights and opportunity discovery. This is initially an individual contributor role with the opportunity to grow into a team of analysts as the program scales.
- Partner with stakeholders to design and implement Web and App A/B/n experiments to enable rigorous testing of new product features, personalized experiences, and marketing strategies
- Develop an end-to-end experimentation process and establish an experiment repository, consolidating results in an accessible, intuitive manner. Share learnings broadly to instill a culture of continuous optimization
- Collaborate with Digital Analysts to develop valuable user segments, identify personalization strategies, and generate testing opportunities to optimize KPIs
- Apply robust statistical methods to evaluating test results and projecting the impact of a scaled test variation
- Consult with stakeholders across the enterprise to develop Test and Learn frameworks for complex business questions, and to inform the strategic direction of the company
- Monitor tests throughout their lifecycle to ensure testing fidelity and validity
- 7+ years professional experience as a data analyst and/or data scientist
- Masters degree in a quantitative field such as Statistics or Data Analytics (preferred)
- Experience leading enterprise experimentation, designing, implementing, and analyzing tests across websites, apps, and marketing platforms
- Experience leading cross-functional enterprise projects from inception to completion
Required Technical Skills:
Advanced skills and knowledge of the following:
- A/B/n testing platforms (Optimizely, Adobe Target, etc.) and effective test design (establishing sample sizes, statistical significance measurement, causal inference, etc.)
- 4 years of relevant experience and deep expertise in
- applied forecasting models (econometric time series models, tree-based methods, etc.)
- building interpretable models
- multivariate analysis, stochastic models and sampling methods
- Digital analytics tools such as Adobe Analytics or Google Analytics
- Querying and manipulating large data sets utilizing SQL, R, and/or Python
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Experience with marketing analytics (e.g. media mix models, incrementality analysis) and mining data across a suite of digital marketing platform sources
- Data visualization tools such as Tableau (preferred), Power BI, Looker, Domo, or R-Shiny
- Bias toward action and collaborative problem solving
- Builder of strong cross-functional partnerships, leveraging data to influence without authority
- Demonstrated thought leadership and a naturally curious mind; thirst for discovery, answers, and continuous improvement
- Active listener with the ability to ask the right questions to understand the business problem and identify the analysis approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to concisely distill the insights and recommendations from complex analyses in an audience appropriate manner, from senior leaders to data scientists to an employee group with different backgrounds and experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.