At Cars.com, we help shoppers meet their perfect car match, and people find their perfect career match. As one of the top places to work in Chicago, according to The Chicago Tribune, Built-In Chicago and others, we pride ourselves on a culture of growth and innovation.
Cars.com has revolutionized the automotive industry for both shoppers and sellers through technology and solutions for buyers and sellers alike. We never shy away from a challenge, move fast, collaborate across functions to approach problems from every angle. We’ve built a culture that’s second-to-none and share core values that keep everyone working full-speed at the same goals with the same open, outcome-driven and bold attitudes.
Cars.com is a CARS brand. CARS includes the following brands: Cars.com, Dealer Inspire, DealerRater. Learn more here!
**This position is 100% remote; US-based candidates only.**
About the Role
As a Product Designer at Cars.com, you will help us solve challenges unique to our dual-sided marketplace by providing valuable solutions to car shoppers and dealer customers through research, empathy, and vigor. We embed design and design thinking into our products—helping us build a future where the magic of creativity thrives.
You’re a bit of a generalist and can see yourself working in all parts of the user-experience design process from research to interaction design to branding. You are a problem finder and solver, able to confidently present solutions to internal teams and stakeholders. You have experience collaborating with cross-functional teams such as product managers, engineers, data scientists, customer success, SEO, and management.
You can balance multiple projects and push for quality while moving quickly. You thrive in a team environment because you know that teamwork gets results. Confidence in your ability to navigate ambiguity makes you well suited to our culture at Cars.com.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with product managers, engineering, and other partners to better understand customer needs and pain points and to verify that your designs are solving for them
- Applying design-research methods and delivering informed recommendations for projects based on your research findings
- Designing wireframes, mockups, prototypes, specs, etc. to clearly communicate ideas to team members and stakeholders
- Thoughtfully crafting high-quality design deliverables and product specifications
- Over time you’ll find yourself working on a variety of projects (ex. software, mobile app, responsive web, branding, data visualization) for a variety of audiences (buyers, sellers, internal employees)
- Fostering your growth by soliciting feedback from other designers and design leadership
- Finding opportunities to improve our products by using data to drive creativity and innovation
- Partnering with other team members to plan, execute and analyze research
- Immersing yourself in the latest technology solutions
What you bring
- Fluency with best practices for mobile-first design, as well as strong knowledge of usability principles and techniques
- Experience with the design process from start to finish — requirements gathering, conceptual design, validation, testing, optimization, and iteration
- Demonstrated experience working with design systems and brand standards
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative user research methodologies
- Experience with of design’s role in the software and product development lifecycle
- A proactive mindset that sets out to find opportunities for improvement while balancing user and business needs
- A high bar for quality
- An agile and highly collaborative mindset
Qualities we value
- Thoughtful articulation of ideas and design decisions
- Translation of quantitative and qualitative insights into design decisions
- Contribution to our team’s culture: quality, optimism, collaboration, candidness, and continuous improvement
- Driven to solve and simplify complex problems
- Commitment to building positive relationships to support the strength of our team
- 3+ years of professional experience as a product designer, interaction designer, UX designer, or comparable experience
- Bachelor’s in Human Factors or related design discipline or comparable experience
- A portfolio of work demonstrating your user-centered designs, your process (flows, prototypes, wireframes), and visual designs (mockups, mood boards, style guides) across desktop and mobile devices
- Experience launching products from ideation to completion
- Added bonus
- Experience in e-commerce or two-sided marketplaces
- Familiarity with Sketch/Figma
- Animation skills
- Auto-industry passion
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.