At Cars.com, we help shoppers meet their perfect car match, and people find their perfect career match. As one of the top places to work in Chicago, according to The Chicago Tribune, Built-In Chicago and others, we pride ourselves on a culture of growth and innovation.
Cars.com has revolutionized the automotive industry for both shoppers and sellers through technology and solutions for buyers and sellers alike. We never shy away from a challenge, move fast, collaborate across functions to approach problems from every angle. We’ve built a culture that’s second-to-none and share core values that keep everyone working full-speed at the same goals with the same open, outcome-driven and bold attitudes.
Cars.com is a CARS brand. CARS includes the following brands: Cars.com, Dealer Inspire, DealerRater. Learn more here!
About This Role
CARS Software Engineering is looking for top talent to join our team for an exciting new phase of our business and technical evolution. In 2021, we launched a new Elixir and Phoenix-based platform that will transform Cars.com, a 20-year-old public company, and will ultimately enable our continued innovation and fuel our mission.
For this role, we are looking for a software engineer who is passionate about developing Platform applications using Elixir. Examples of Platform work include high-volume data processing with Oban and Broadway, working with OTP, and building REST APIs and GraphQL resolvers. The ideal candidate has developed and shipped web applications using modern tech stacks. In addition to web development experience, this individual has been a part of Agile development processes, enjoys solving problems with software, and cares deeply about contributing to a team culture of learning and growth.
- Collaborate with engineers to design, build, maintain, and operate areas of the platform related to ingesting, transforming, storing, and distributing vehicle and dealer data through ETL, APIs, and integrations.
- Design quality, scalable, efficient software using Elixir, Oban, Broadway, Phoenix, and AWS.
- Contribute to observability and tooling on top of our platform subsystems.
- Lead and participate in an on-call rotation to support our Business.
- Develop, maintain, and document Elixir best practices.
- Contribute to clear documentation and testing tools in support of our platform.
Required Skills & Experience
- Built and shipped multiple products, applications, or systems to production with any comparable modern web framework.
- Able to observe, instrument, optimize, and operate what you build (we use Datadog and Splunk).
- Understanding of CI/CD and deployment toolchains (we use CircleCI, Docker + Buildkit, Amazon ECR, Helm v3).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to collaborate with other engineers across the software engineering organization to solve problems. This involves pairing, in-depth code reviews, respectful debate on the appropriate approach, and ability to document for the future.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.