At Cars.com, we help shoppers meet their perfect car match, and people find their perfect career match. As one of the top places to work in Chicago, according to The Chicago Tribune, Built-In Chicago and others, we pride ourselves on a culture of growth and innovation.
Cars.com has revolutionized the automotive industry for both shoppers and sellers through technology and solutions for buyers and sellers alike. We never shy away from a challenge, move fast, collaborate across functions to approach problems from every angle. We’ve built a culture that’s second-to-none and share core values that keep everyone working full-speed at the same goals with the same open, outcome-driven and bold attitudes.
Cars.com is a CARS brand. CARS includes the following brands: Cars.com, Dealer Inspire, DealerRater. Learn more here!
About the Role:
The Corporate Paralegal is a key member of the CARS Legal team providing effective, efficient and timely advice, solutions and services that meet the highest ethical and professional standards to help the company navigate every aspect of its business. This role focuses on the management and administration of Commercial Transactions and Contract Management, Corporate Governance, and Securities; but, like all members of the team, this role will be asked to assist in all areas involving Legal Department (e.g., litigation and IP). This individual will work independently, take ownership of projects and be required to problem solve and will liaise with company attorneys, outside counsel, organizations, and in-house employees.
Responsibilities (not an exhaustive list):
Commercial Transactions/Contract Management
- Contract administration and management including updating contract templates, reviewing and approving standard contracts, drafting termination/amendment letters, assisting corporate stakeholders with questions and training and running reports for legal department.
- Oversee Contract Lifecycle Management System.
- Board Meeting Organization. Assist with planning, drafting and maintaining records related to board and committee meetings including calendar, agendas, minutes, resolutions and written consents.
- Board Communications. Management of Board portal, D&O questionnaires, biographies, self-evaluation materials and education materials.
- Governance Documents. Maintain and assist with publication of charters, policies, guidelines and company statements.
- Legal Entity Management. Manage the formation, qualification, and ongoing maintenance of legal entities and related regulatory filings.
- Licensing and State Filings. Including bus. licenses, annual reports, banking docs., qualifications, DBAs, etc.
- ESG Issues. Assist with ESG Program and related documentation.
- Assist in preparation and filing of SEC forms including Section 16, Form 8-K and DEF 14(a).
- Manage annual meeting and proxy process including creating timelines and initial draft of proxy statement, liaise with outside mailing and printing vendors, etc.
- Facilitate the preparation and filing of various regulatory forms and applications required by the NYSE.
- Partner with finance, tax and other corporate stakeholders on matters requiring corporate legal support.
- Additional support of the legal department including tracking IP filings, managing class action suits and subpoena responses, assisting in eDiscovery, responding to COI requests and maintaining electronic legal files.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree and/or Paralegal Certificate required.
- Strong analytical, administrative and organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines required.
- Ability to communicate, orally and in writing, with individuals at all levels of company and with outside law firms, as needed.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships, including but not limited to, maintaining strict confidentiality and appropriate judgment and discretion in handling highly sensitive and confidential matters.
- Exceptional follow up and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with Google products.
- Experience with SEC filing software, contract management systems, eDiscovery, board portal software.
- Minimum of five plus years of experience as a corporate paralegal
- Health Insurance with BCBS, Delta Dental (Orthodontics coverage available), and EyeMed Vision
- 401k plan with company match
- PTO, parental leave, and selected paid holidays
- Life and Disability Insurance
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.