About This Role:
CARS Software Engineering is looking for top talent to join our team for an exciting new phase of our business and technical evolution. In 2021, we are launching a new platform that will transform Cars.com, a 20-year-old public company, and will ultimately enable our continued innovation and fuel our mission.
For this role, we are looking for a very experienced software engineer who is passionate about the design, implementation, and development of an AWS Platform composed of Web, ETL, and API applications working in concert together. The ideal candidate deeply understands and enjoys the complexity of distributed systems - network request flows, enterprise architecture patterns, high volume data processing, scaling cloud infrastructure - and more!
This role is positioned within our Cloud Engineering team (our “Pit Crew”) and works closely with our various Product Engineering teams to coach, mentor, and collaborate on projects designed to improve our Platform and support new features.
- Collaborate with, Mentor, and Coach Engineers to design web, data, API, and infrastructure features
- Lead areas of our Engineering team culture through Pull Request reviews, project and team retrospectives
- Develop, maintain, and document Cloud Engineering best practices
- Coach and Evangelize technology and tooling in support of Cloud Engineering
- Work with Product Owners and Designers to develop solutions and estimates for Software Engineering work
- Work with Software Engineering leadership on technical direction and team feedback.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Built and shipped multiple products, applications, or systems to production
- Significant Cloud development and architecture experience in a senior role (5+ years)
- Significant Software Engineering experience (10+ years)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think critically about trade-offs in software design, and explain those tradeoffs to both Engineers and non-Engineers
- Experience in developing a vision for a technical platform, mixing business and technical concerns, with the ability to communicate that vision to a team
- Cloud platform experience with AWS technologies (CLI, Aurora, S3, IAM, EC2, ECS, EKS, ECR, KMS, CloudWatch, Lambda, Route53, SQS, SNS, CodeDeploy) including resource scaling
- Ability to set up and create useful infrastructure monitoring & alerts (we use DataDog and CloudWatch)
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code orchestration tools (we use Terraform)
- Understanding of CI/CD and deployment toolchains (we use CircleCI).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.