About This Role:
CARS Software Engineering is looking for top talent to join our team for an exciting new phase of our business and technical evolution. In 2021, we are launching a new platform that will transform Cars.com, a 20-year-old public company, and will ultimately enable our continued innovation and fuel our mission.
For this role, we are looking for software engineers who are passionate about Cloud Engineering development, best practices, operations, and optimizations. The ideal candidate has a strong background in software development, complimented by a significant amount of experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS). They have multiple years of commercial software development experience and have released, supported, and scaled production systems. They have experience or understanding of what it means to implement infrastructure-as-code, ideally using Terraform. Through all of this experience, they have formed opinions and desire to focus on how we can best leverage and operate a cloud-native platform.
This role is positioned within our Cloud Engineering team (our “Pit Crew”) and works closely with our various Product Engineering teams to collaborate on new projects, operate and maintain the existing platform, and look ahead to what is in the future with AWS.
- Support Product Engineering teams’ ability to deliver new features by implementing AWS services through a practice of infrastructure-as-code
- Oncall Support of AWS infrastructure
- Participate in our Engineering team culture through Pull Request reviews, project and team retrospectives
- Lead the development, maintenance, and documentation of Cloud Engineering best practices
- Lead the evangelization of technology and tooling in support of Cloud Engineering
- Develop and execute on Cloud Engineering direction and roadmap.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Built or supported the shipping of multiple products, applications, or systems to production
- Cloud development and operation experience with AWS (5+ years)
- Software Engineering or Technical Operations experience (8+ years)
- Cloud platform experience with AWS technologies (CLI, Aurora, S3, IAM, EC2, ECS, EKS, ECR, KMS, CloudWatch, Lambda, Route53, SQS, SNS, CodeDeploy) including resource scaling
- Ability to set up and create useful infrastructure monitoring & alerts (we use DataDog and CloudWatch)
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code orchestration tools (we use Terraform)
- Understanding of CI/CD and deployment toolchains (we use CircleCI)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.