Cars.com is one of Chicago’s original tech companies. Our online platform makes it easier for consumers to shop for, sell, and service their cars. With our expert content, mobile app features, millions of new and used vehicle listings, a comprehensive set of research tools and the largest database of consumer reviews in the industry, Cars.com offers innovative products to connect consumers with dealers across the country.
Data is the driver of our future at Cars. We’re searching for highly collaborative, analytical, and innovative Engineers to build and scale our big data and ML platform. If you are passionate about using data to solve problems and build game changing products, we’d love to work with you.
About the Role:
Working within a dynamic and fast paced team environment, the Senior Engineer is responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of mission-critical, highly visible big data and machine learning applications in direct support of Cars.com business objectives. Furthermore, this person is responsible for working with other engineers to develop the technical design by fully understanding the technical details, integration, and functions of multiple applications across their development team. The ideal candidate should have good mentoring and cross-functional skills.
About the Team:
The Big Data and Machine Learning team at Cars.com is responsible for building big data pipelines and deriving insights out of the data using advanced analytic techniques, streaming and machine learning at scale.
- 3+ years of experience in programming languages such as Java or Python.
- 2+ years of experience in big data engineering.
- 1+ years of experience as Spark Developer.
- Ability to develop spark jobs to cleanse/enrich/process large amounts of data.
- Ability to develop spark streaming jobs to read data from Kafka.
- Experience with tuning spark jobs for efficient performance including execution time of the job, execution memory, etc.
- Good understanding of various file formats and compression techniques.
- Experience with source code management systems such as GIT and developing CI/CD pipelines with tools such as Jenkins for data.
- Ability to understand deeply the entire architecture for a major part of the business and be able to articulate the scaling and reliability limits of that area; design, develop and debug at an enterprise level and design and estimate at a cross-project level.
- Ability to mentor developers and lead projects of medium to high complexity.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience developing Big Data applications in the cloud, especially AWS.
- Experience tuning HIVE queries.
- Experience in deploying ML models into production and integrating them into production applications for use.
- Experience with Spark ML.
- Experience with machine learning / deep learning using R, Python, Jupyter, Zeppelin, TensorFlow, etc.