Cars.com is a leading online destination that helps car shoppers and owners navigate every turn of car ownership. A pioneer in automotive classifieds, the company has evolved into one of the largest digital automotive marketplaces, guiding over 20 million unique visitors a month, and creating kinetic connections between shoppers and sellers. CARS is one of the largest and most established tech companies in Chicago, with a culture that remains very entrepreneurial, with a focus on innovation, creativity, and being an incubator for strong talent. We are looking for a passionate, collaborative, forward thinking VP & GM of Cars Advertising to join us as we grow and thrive toward market domination.
Overview of the Job
You will manage and lead CARS Advertising, the National advertising business of cars.com that works with OEMs and near endemic brands. You will set a strategic plan, direct sales, partner with product and drive the growth of the $100m+ business. This position will oversee all national advertising revenue, including direct and programmatic ad sales, as well as emerging social and addressable television channel sales. You will create the vision and culture, and set the priorities, strategies, and tactics to succeed in a new era of data-driven advertising.
The reporting structure:
- This role reports to the Chief Revenue Officer.
The 3 best things about the job:
- You represent a category-leading marketplace that’s known throughout the automotive industry for its high-quality audience and data-driven advertising solutions that reach and influence ready-to-buy shoppers.
- You get the opportunity to lead a deep and accomplished digital sales organization that innovates on behalf of some of the world’s largest OEM advertisers, while matching in-market shoppers to the right car, and demonstrating the influence of brand campaigns all the way through to local dealers.
- You own a core line of business for CARS and as such wear multiple hats – the go-to-market strategist, the product innovator, the sales coach and motivator, the creative storyteller, the analytical wizard and the expert on the future of digital advertising.
Measures of Success
In three months:
- Listen and establish trust with your team, and key customers.
- Create and evangelize clear direction and priorities for the business, based on real buy-in and commitment from your team and key product and operations stakeholders.
- Orchestrate early revenue wins - the green shoots of new growth for the national team - to build confidence in your plan.
In six months:
- Celebrate the depth and consistency of your direct sales pipelines, the intelligent growth of data-driven ad solutions as well as programmatic and social.
- Meet or beat monthly budgets and establish predictable incremental revenue.
- Put CARS Advertising on the path toward its best ever ad upfront.
In twelve months:
- Expand your team as OEM partners, agencies and brands grow investment in CARS Advertising.
- Celebrate as product and sales system innovation success is really starting to scale - and the growth of CARS Advertising is outpacing any other business segment.
Role & Responsibilities
- Develop, execute, and manage a strategic business plan to exceed National sales target and supports the skill development of the National Sales Team.
- Develop and communicate vision, goals while working in a collaborative/ teamwork environment with peers across sales channel, company divisions and dealer partners.
- Create a winning culture within the National Sales organization through and with people, having solid discipline and track record in hiring, training and developing people.
- Build and maintain a positive work environment characterized by high expectations and aggressive goals while fostering an open, accountable, and fun culture that loves to WIN.
- Lead budgeting, forecasting, and performance analysis to ensure financial and revenue goals are met.
- Monitor functionality and use of existing reporting, systems and/or offers and make recommendations to improve service and training efforts.
- Lead the development of new strategic product initiatives that address the OEM’s evolving advertising needs.