Here at Cars.com, our goal is to make the car shopping experience better for everyone. We’re a digital automotive marketplace that creates connections between car buyers and sellers, helping each consumer find and buy the right car for them. If we have our way, buying a car will one day be as fun as driving one.
To help us reach our goal, we are looking for a passionate Product Design Intern at to join our digital product team.
What you’ll be up to:
You will help us solve unique challenges for our dual-sided marketplace. You’ll collaborate with multiple teams to understand our users, and design solutions to create meaningful connections between car buyers and sellers.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will involve:
- Working through a wide spectrum of user-centered design activities, focusing on how the product works as well as how the product looks.
- Designing wireframes, mockups, prototypes, specs, etc. to clearly communicate ideas to team members and stakeholders in partnership with members of the design team.
- Collaborating with other designers on projects and working with cross-functional teams (product management, technology, sales, operations, etc.) as part of your design delivery process.
- Applying design research methods (competitive analysis, usability testing) and making informed recommendations to projects you’re working on based on your findings.
What you bring:
- Willingness to ask questions and gather learnings about the design process
- Passion for growth and openness to feedback from other designers/stakeholders
- Demonstration of design skills through sketching, concepting, and a polished portfolio
- Knowledge of modern software design tools (Sketch, inVision, etc.)
- Strong communication skills; demonstrable ability to build rapport and trust
Specifically, we’re looking for someone who:
- Is in the process of obtaining a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in HCI or related discipline
- Has experience with or understanding of design strategy and human-centered design methods
- Has experience in eCommerce (preferred)
- Has experience with a digital media business ( preferred)
- Has experience in automotive (nice-to-have)