Cars.com’s Editorial department is expanding. We are seeking a Copy Editor to edit stories for Cars.com and related websites. This person will edit content for Cars.com’s News, Reviews and Research sections as well as PickupTrucks.com. The Copy Editor also will build stories for publication in a content management system.
The Copy Editor must be a stickler for detail, willing to dig into spreadsheets, charts and stories to make sure the facts are correct. This person will edit stories for Associated Press and Cars.com style as well as grammar. The Copy Editor also must have working knowledge of the best practices for search engine optimization. This is a full-time position based in Chicago.
The Copy Editor must have the ability to define and solve problems, manage multiple projects, pivot when priorities change, and edit and build stories. This person must be able to complete projects on time or communicate otherwise. This person also will be required to make decisions, at times independent of a supervisor’s guidance. This role is primarily in-office work, but some travel may be required. Heavy computer use is part of the job. This person must be willing to work extra hours as needed.
Cars.com’s Editorial department empowers consumers to make all automotive purchase and ownership decisions through unbiased and trusted expert content.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Copy edit content for Cars.com and related websites
- Be adept at checking information from many sources
- Update and/or write stories as needed
- Work with editors on creating and updating content for their sections
- Work cross-functionally within Marketing to edit press releases, sponsored content and other items
- Occasionally work with public relations agencies, manufacturer representatives and other automotive specialists
- Build and publish stories and reviews in our content management systems
- Ensure writing and headlines meet SEO best practices
- Must have strong writing and editing skills
- Copy editing experience is a must
- Deep knowledge of AP style
- Knowledge of automotive market is preferred but not required
- Comfortable with Microsoft software
- HTML experience
- Adobe Photoshop experience is beneficial
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of online editing or journalism/editorial experience