About our Company:
Cars.com is a leader in the automotive digital marketplace. Since 1997, we have built our B2B and B2C brand to preeminent status in the industry. While enjoying great stability, we continue to grow. Our workforce has more than doubled since 2006, and our revenue has increased more than 150% in that same time. Our highly engaged workforce enjoys our dedication to work/life balance, wellness and career growth, as well as a rich set of employee programs that include training. We’re big enough to provide abundant resources and small enough for employees to make an immediate impact.
About the role:
Cars.com is seeking an experienced, full stack Software Engineer to join its growing Technology department. Working within a dynamic and fast paced team environment and utilizing the latest technologies, the Software Engineer will be responsible for design, development and implementation of Cars.com's front end and backend solutions, adding new functionality to Car’s digital platforms as well as development of internal and external applications. The Software Engineer will also be tasked with analyzing and improving current processes and procedures to ensure that the highest level of efficiency and cost effectiveness is achieved in our lean work environment. The Software Engineer will collaborate with his or her peers across Cars.com on best practices, standards, and trends through Communities of Practice and Affinity Groups.
About the Team:
The Software Engineer will work on the Seller Partner Portfolio and be a part of exciting initiatives that help our organization and dealer partners achieve mutual goals utilizing our best in class product and technology suite. The Software Engineer will act as a positive agent of change that influences our development community and impacts company objectives.
- Self-motivated and team oriented
- Able to work in a cross functional team and mentor others as needed
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Able to deal with ambiguity and find challenges motivating
- Contribute to the technical solutions, from ideation, to development, through production deployment
- Perform delivery (e.g. code, unit-test, and lead design/code review sessions)
- Ensure code quality is high, application is healthy, and tech debt is low
- Evangelize and support a DevOps culture
- Take ownership of the role and have a drive for career growth through continuous learning.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 4-7 years of experience as a web developer in an online/software venue
- Object Oriented Programming
- In-depth knowledge on JAVA and Spring
- Experience developing applications on Node.js
- Experience with CI/CD
- Experience with Gradle and other build automation systems
- Unit testing (Mocha, Chai, JUnit)
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) and Pair Programming
- Understanding of Web Services concepts; RESTful API experience preferred
- Experience with Docker or other application containerization tools and microservice architecture
- Cloud experience is a plus (AWS, ECS)
- Advocate for best practices (e.g. JS unit-testing and continuous deployment)
- Agile/Scrum/Lean experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- College degree in Computer Science or equivalent Degree.