Cars.com is one of Chicago’s original tech companies. Our online platform makes it easier for consumers to shop for, sell and service their cars. With our expert content, mobile app features, millions of new and used vehicle listings, a comprehensive set of research tools and the largest database of consumer reviews in the industry, Cars.com offers innovative products to connect consumers with dealers across the country.
Data is the driver for our future at Cars. We’re searching for collaborative, analytical, and innovative engineers to help utilize the almost 20 years of data we have at our disposal. If you are passionate about using data to solve problems and build game changing products, we’d love to work with you.
Working within a dynamic and fast paced team environment, the Principal Big Data Developer is responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of mission-critical, highly visible Big data and Machine learning applications in direct support of Cars.com business objectives. The ideal candidate must be able to provide development expertise within his/her portfolio of products and be the point of contact for specific applications. Furthermore, this person is responsible for working with the leads to develop the technical design by fully understanding the technical details, integration, and functions of multiple applications across their development team. The ideal candidate should also be mentoring other developers and be a spokesman of Big Data and Machine learning both internally and externally.
About the team:
The Data Insights team at Cars.com is responsible for ingesting the data from various sources and deriving advanced insights out of the data to help car shoppers in their shopping journey using advanced analytic techniques, streaming and machine learning at scale.
- Have written spark jobs to cleanse/enrich/process large amounts of data.
- Have written spark streaming jobs to read data from Kafka
- Have tuned spark jobs for efficient performance including execution time of the job, execution memory, etc
- Have a good understanding various file formats and compression techniques in HDFS
- Have experience with sqoop to import and export data out of HDFS
- Have experience in effectively modeling and storing data in HDFS
- Experience with source code management systems such as GIT
- Ability to design Big Data and machine learning solutions
- Have experience working with MPP databases like Teradata, NoSql databases like Couchbase
- Have experience tuning HIVE and Impala queries
- Have worked on Spark ML
- Have done machine learning/deep learning using R/Python/ Jupyter/ Zeppelin/TensoFlow etc
- Have worked with scheduling engines like UC4/Automic
- Developed big data applications in cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- 5+ years of experience as a Java developer/Data developer
- 3+ years of experience as Big Data Developer
- 2+ years of experience as Spark Developer